Dual Sport Conversion, custom vs kit

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I've probably read every single thread regarding dual sport conversion on the forum but I still have a few questions.

I think the easiest method to do this would be the bajadesigns kit. HOWEVER, I'm not a fan of the way it looks.

I really like the looks of the eline kits but they don't offer a kit for the KDX. I was thinking of piecing one together but they don't seem to offer much of a choice in individual parts. Has anyone done a KDX with the eline stuff?

My other idea was to modify the baja designs kit. They sell a UFO style tail light bracket aswell as flush mount turn signals. I could always just modify some flush mount turn signals into the head unit and ditch the bulky signals in the kit. Do they alow you to substitute parts?

I ride my bike hard and I can be clumbsy at times. I don't want to be ripping off my turn signals everytime I miscalculate my distance between the bike and a tree :p

Also, do I need to rewind the stator immediately? Or can I get by for a little bit. I plan to switch the tail lights to leds if that helps at all.

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I also found some information on the Dakar kit. However, they don't make one specific to the KDX. Does anyone know what bike is closet to the KDX in order to install that kit? I was thinking maybe the KLX version, does anyone know if the KLX 300 uses the same brakes as the KDX?

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I decided to go with the Elextrex Dakar kit and then put on the UFO flushmount rear bracket w/ a blk maier mx fender.

I plan to modify the dakar front light casing and put on flush mount lights so it will look similar to the eline kit.

From what I have read the dakar kit seems to be the most complete kit all around. It uses the factory stator thanks to the battery. Also comes complete with ignition key, etc... and everything is built right into the headlamp casing. It also has a more stream line switch for the turn signals and hi-lo beams aswell.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I have the kit from Trick Dual sports - very impressed, everything can come off the bike in minutes and very high quality- no turns ignals sticking out either-

I can recommend highly

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
ScottS said:
I have the kit from Trick Dual sports - very impressed, everything can come off the bike in minutes and very high quality- no turns ignals sticking out either-

I can recommend highly

Are you using this on a KDX?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
On Saturday I installed the Baja Designs kit on my bike and am very happy with the quality. They substituted flush mount rear blinkers for no charge, and the fronts are very flexible and now mounted on the headlight pod itself, not the triple clamps like the website shows. I don't think breaking them will be a problem. Everything went together easily and seems to be top quality. I don't care much for the tail light setup looks, but eventually I will replace it with a moto fender and KTM-style taillight.

My only problem is the lighting coil output. I purchased a Moose 75W coil through Fredette Racing and there is no way it's putting out 75 watts. Even running high rpm's it will not light the taillight and a blinker at the same time. Forget about turning on the headlight. I'm going to check output right after work and then start making some calls to see how I can get this replaced / fixed / refunded. I think the stock lighting coil made more power than this one.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
The iron core can be moved about a little; perhaps its too far away..
Minimize the air gap, without touching the flywheel, to maximize the output before sending it back.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
No that's not it, I'm just retarded. When Baja rewinds the lighting coil they change to a floating ground system on the bike to run the dual sport system. So tonight I have to do a little soldering and wiring, then I should be 100% A-ok. It even mentioned it in the instruction sheet I glanced over :bang: .

Top Bottom