Oblivion

Jun 27, 2006
Greets, folks. I'm a street veteran looking to do some trail riding. Here be the details:

1) 5'10" - 199.99# - 32 years old if that matters.
2) I'm a dirt virgin, so I'll be taking it easy.
3) I'm looking for a street-legal bike for buzzing down Wisconsin country roads 5 miles into town that I can also take on fire roads and wooded (potentially tight) trails with the occasional mudhole. This would be something I'd likely leave up by my folks to ride when I'm visiting. I'd estimate usage as 60% offroad, 40% on. No Interstate travel.
4) I have about 15k miles of street riding experience over the last 11 years ('81 Yam XJ750 Seca). The only time I've been off road is on a moutain bike or a 4-wheeler and that was tame riding.
5) No racing for me, thanks (unless I upset a bear in the woods).
6) With a book, I can wrench, but I don't have a ton of experience. I just revived my XJ after 2 years of neglect including carb, brake, and fork rebuilds, so regular maintnance tasks and the occasional mod wouldn't scare me. I've never had a chain-driven cycle, BTW.
7) I like Yamaha, but I'm not fiercly brand-loyal. Using the right tool for the job is more important than what name is stamped on the tool. I believe for street legality, I'm restricted to a 4-stroke engine, which is fine by me.
8) I live near Chicago, so if there's a brand, there's likely a dealer within an hour's drive.
9) I can't see spending more than $5k at this point, especially for something I might put into a tree ;)
10) I'm not dead-set on a dual sport. Perhaps I'd be better off getting a 125 or 250 dirt bike with no turn signals to worry about snapping off and get some off-road experience before I drop coin on a 'nicer' bike. Though that sounds cheaper and wiser, I'd then have to spend money on a trailer, hitch, etc., so I keep going back to the idea of a dual.

I've been looking at the Yamaha TW200, and I like the reviews I've read on it. For some reason, those fat tires are comforting to me. The top end seems a little weak, but I don't see doing a lot of riding WFO. If I needed to, I could swap in a different gear for longer hauls.

I've also done a search here on dual sport/purpose and read some good threads. Many seemed focused on the 650 class of bikes more for street performance than as a dirt machine, but a few also mentioned the DRZ400, so I'll have to look into that. The idea of starting off on something as big as a 650 - heck even a 400 kind of intimidates me, so again, the 200 appeals.

I'm BRAND new to the idea of taking a powered bike off the pavement (or at least the gravel), so I don't even know what I don't know. For example, on the subject of gear, what would you recommend? Should I have a full compliment of MX gear with chest protectors and Robocop boots, or would standard street gear (armored jacket, helmet, gloves, work boots) be adequate for the light trail riding I'm talking about?

Hit me with your best shots, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
DRZ400S if you want an "out-of-the-box" dual sport.

The TW200 isn't much good for anything over 45-50 mph. The XT225 isn't too bad, but pretty anemic compared to the DRZ.

Jun 5, 2006
I think first you need to be sure about whether or not to get a dual sport or not. If you plan on doing anything very big when you start to get better, i'd recommend staying away from the dual sport. However, it sounds like you will be just doing some easy trails, so that sounds okay i guess.

Oblivion

Jun 27, 2006
Krabill,

Is the price diff. between the DRZ400s and the Yamaha offerings justified ($1400-$1900)?

For the price of the 'Zuki new (I haven't seen any used locally), I could just buy two pre-beaten purpose-built bikes. Maybe that's the way to go after all.

Here's a question - for a first off-road machine, is a little anemia a BAD thing? Or are we talking REALLY anemic here?

Xtremesports445, yeah, I don't plan on 'going big' with the offfroad stuff. If I did, I'd re-evaluate the stable at that time. But my current thinking is trails - no jumps or anything like that. Another advantage I see to a Dual is that it could make a good street learner for my wife - something she's been interested in lately.

Thanks for your thoughts, guy. Keep 'em coming.

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
I had a dual sport once, a XT 350. They should have called it a no-sport, because it sucked on and off road. If you do get one, stay away from the 200, because you would get bored with a small bike quick.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
The higher price of the DRZ-S is definately worth it over the XT225 for the motor and suspension is much better, but it is quite a bit heavier too, though.

Another bike I completely forgot about that would fit you to a "T" is the new KLX250S. It's much lighter than the DRZ and doesn't have crazy amounts of power, yet it is super great fun on the trails. Much better suspension than the Yamaha, and a better motor. Light enough that it won't kill you to pick it up a few times and it is still fun to run around town on.

I'm a Yamaha guy at heart too, but they just don't offer much for the d-s crowd.

Oblivion

Jun 27, 2006
That KLX250 looks interesting. I like the smaller size than the 400. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the lead.

jwussow74

Jun 14, 2006
keep in mind that you can make almost any dirt bike street legal. don't limit yourself to a pure dual sport simply because you plan to ride 5 miles to town every now and again. in colorado the requirements for "street legal" are: headlight, tail/brake light, mirrors, horn, highway approved tires and insurance. most bikes that have E-start also come with lights which means you're less than a couple hundred $$$ away from a "street legal" bike. many enduro/trail bikes have gearing that would work just fine for the type of commuting you're talking about. but they also have better suspension and off-road ready components. check out the yamaha ttr-250 it comes stock with everything except a brake light, mirrors and horn. and you can pick one up new for under $5000. intimidation is good, but it can go away quickly. so don't get a smaller bike for that reason alone. gear: for starters you NEED a helmet, goggles, gloves and good boots. after that you can see where your riding will take you and what gear goes along with it. welcome to dirt!

mr_guns

Aug 2, 2006
Drz-400s

For what you are looking at doing I would go for the DRZ-400S. For your size the 200's are too small. The DRZ-650 is old technology. One important advice it change the tires before going off road. I just put Dunlop 606 tires on and they do fairly good for on or off road riding :ride:

Top Bottom