Dual sport keeps cutting out, I need some input

xrdog

Dec 3, 2000
I need some help with a problem I have been having with my Honda XR650L dual sport. About two weeks ago I replaced the battery on the bike and since then the bike will just cutout when driving it. It will cutout and re-fuses to start and then after a minute or two it will restart and then do the same thing all over again. The bike will cutout and die within a block from my house, so it seems to cutout more when it is cold. I can try to run it for awhile then it seems to get better and it will not cutout at all This is driving me crazy!!At first I thought that maybe I had gotten some bad gas, so I drained the tank and cleaned the carb and put some fresh gas in the tank and that didn’t make a difference. I have also checked the battery connections, fuses, coil connections, plug cap . The side stand switch has been bypassed. Any input anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

XRDOG

97 KDX220
93 XR650L

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Make sure those alien's didn't drop one of those magnetic thing's down here!
How much power is the plug getting? is it up to spec? Why did you change the battery? did it go dead? If it did and most likely did then that maybe a sign of the battery not getting charged. Then the bike will do this. Did you scrape the paint off the battery conection's if there was any. It sound's like it is shorting out. Any water???
CRG

xrdog

Dec 3, 2000
Here is some info: I replaced the battery because it was getting weak, it was 8 years old. The bike is charging the battery just fine. Just got done re-checking the connections once again. I also looked at the plug cap/wire. I am going to test the coil/plug wire next. Anyone know what happens when the coil fails? Does it just quit or is a gradual thing? Will it fail under a load?

Thanks,

XRDOG

Oct 30, 2000
you've checked the fuel system and it dosent sound like its mechanical so electrical is my guess.

years ago i has a xr600rf (1985), it caused me similar greif off and on for about 9months untill everything was overhauled or replaced.

ended up being the CDI - bike worked fine when CDI was squeezed so we assumed something was loose in there and opted for a hose clamp. have also heard of heat & cold affecting the little black box.

enjoy!

TobyS

May 1, 2000
Does your bike have one of those switches on the kickstand that shut off the motor if the stand is down? If you do, maybe it's marginal, and vibrates down when you ride it. Just a thought.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Hmm, dose sound electrical, I would see if you can recreate the failure at home, pull the spark plug boot then put a spare plug in the boot and see if it is sparking right the failure. This will tell you for sure if its an ele issue or not. Bike batts are funny little things, if you get them new and dry, your not supposed to use any more than 4 amps to charge them or they say you can damage the plates in the cells. Have you tried switching back to the old batt for testing?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xrdog.

Does the bike cut out or quit when you hit the brake. If so, the new battery may be the problem. If the battery is not good or weak, it will draw enough from the system to kill the engine when the brake light comes on. Like Jason said, it may not have been properly charged. Have seen this happen with new batteries.

Zodran

Mar 26, 2000
I second the cdi, unfortunately there is no longer a way to check it other that replacing it with a known good one or a new one, any of your buddies ride xr650l's? I ride a 93 xr650l, my cdi died last summer at about 18,000 miles.
The first symptom of mine failing was once it was hard to start after cleaning it up in colorado. I rode the rest of the week with no problems. A couple weeks later here at home it wouldn't start at all, not even a pop. Since a new cdi is about $150.00 you'll want to get a service manual and eliminate all other possibilities. Dealers don't take returns on electrical parts so it might be worth it to take it in and have them take a stab at it, it might save you buying one and it turn out to be something else. Best of Luck!

Top Bottom