jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
I have an XR200 with a Baja Designs dual sport kit. I need to graduate to an XR250, and want to put the kit from the XR200 on an XR250. I contacted Baja Designs, and they said the kits are different and this won't work. I don't want to screw Baja out of any money, but saving $395 sounds good to me.
I believe them when they say the kits aren't interchangable, but it seems to me the changes would only be minor. Does anyone know anything about this?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
There maybe a difference in the light coil wattage, I would guess that the 250 has a higher wattage output (more powerfull). That said, if that was the big difference you could add resistance in series to the bulbs or put different bulbs in all togather. Someone must have some electrical prints though! The electrical is all I would be afraid of (cautious of) as the mechanical stuff if easy to modify depending on your preference.

Kevin

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I had the same idea when I bought my '99 WR400 - I wanted to use the kit off my '88 XR600. Obviously there were electrical differences but in addition I would have had to shorten/lenghten most of the wires in the harness. I figured it I couldn't achieve the same qualitiy crimp connections w/o spending a bit of money on tools. In the end I ended up buying the kit for the WR and am glad I did - it would have been a pain in the butt to modify the XR stuff to work.

I think you can save a bit of money by swapping over the blinkers/headlight/taillight/horn and only purchasing the wiring harness type stuff.

Brian

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I doubt there are any differences besides wire length. They both have about the same wattage. There is one electrical consideration, however: on the earlier model XR's you had to "float" the ground. I never learned anymore about that, because mine ('86) didn't require floating the ground. This question can be answered by telling Baja Designs what year you have, and if you need to have to float ground. Either way, you can make it work with the mod they'll tell you about. Obviously you don't tell them "I want to know this to avoid buying a kit."
I had my stator rewound, and went to a 55/60 Halogen. That was a great improvement. If the system was very sensitive to wattage requirements, they would have given me specific instructions as to what size bulb I need. They didn't, even though I asked.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Floating the ground means that it is NOT connected to the chassis (frame), the wires are just connected.

Kevin

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
I pretty much argree that using the kit shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you DO need to change the length of wires (and you probably will), you can buy the crimp tool at Radio Shack (that's where Baja Designs gets the ones they sell to the pubic) and purchase the stainless steel connectors from baja designs at I believe 25 cents each. Slightly more for the double female connectors. I buy conectors from them all the time and the tool works great! DO check out that ground situation. I've installed the kit on the 200,250 and 400 and something tells me that I DID NOT have to scrape the paint off of one of them, just can't remember with one! I would certainly go for it. Also, I think you can just purchase the wiring harness alone for the 250, but they'll probably still want a pretty penny for that too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom