_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with using an r/c battery pack to power a d/s kit? I've been kicking around the idea of trying to street legalize my bike and it appears there is no lighting coil available for the crf/r. All I really need is something to run LED brake/turn signals on a day-to-day basis. It will need to power a headlight and horn for state inspection, but that's only once a year. I'm unclear about what voltage and amperage is needed. I see 10 cell nickle-metal hydride packs producing 12v and 3600mAh. Would I need such a potent pack or would a lesser, say 9.6v pack work?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I used an old 12 v vcr camera sealed lead acid battery that is available at Radio Shack. If I remember right it was about 60$ and had a 1.2 amp hour rating,(I beleive that would mean you can draw 1.2 amps for an hour with a 35 watt headlight bulb and the taillight on, it would stay on 5-10 minutes). In PA you will require turn signals (anything after 1972 I beleive) to get your title and inspection by the letter of the law. Turn signals can be tricky in the respect that low wattage bulbs do not have enough of a draw to click most flasher relays on and off.Automotive horns will draw a lot also make sure you get a bike horn, although I have seen the old bicycle squeeze bulb horns. Very tricky in the legal respect Yes it is on there but it is unsafe to take a hand off the grips to operate it
(State Inspector's judgement call.)

If you are using 12v equipment stick with a 12v battery possibley 6v might do you better

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Attachments

• esl960.jpg
    esl960.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom