Mar 30, 2001
To all who have converted an RFS to dual sport:

Has anyone tried to install a keyed ignition switch to prevent
theft?

Regards,

Jamie

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I never installed an ignition switch on my dirt bike but I did ride it to college for 2 years. I used a U-Lock through the sprocket around the swingarm. Another cheap option is a disk lock.

If you want a switch splice into the kill wire and wire a switch between the kill wire and a portion of the frame. Mount the switch in a hidden location and flip it before you leave. Turning off the fuel is another good idea to slow someone down.

KnotsoFast

Mar 31, 2002
An ignition switch will do nothing to slow someone looking to steal your motorcycle. It takes a semi- experienced thief about 20 seconds to punch the ignition switch with a screw driver and ride off with your pride and joy. You are much better off using a large chain and heavy duty lock and chain the thing to a steel post or something heavy and large. Most people don't carry a cutting torch in their back pocket to remove a chain.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I bought a cycle alarm and installed it. It cuts the ignition so it can't be started and sounds the alarm if it's moved. It uses a keychain remote to activate. I also use a Kryptonite lock through the sprocket and rotor.

Larry

duke498

Mar 30, 2001
cycle alarm

Larry,

What brand/model of cycle alarm did you use?

Jamie

Originally posted by Person8
I bought a cycle alarm and installed it. It cuts the ignition so it can't be started and sounds the alarm if it's moved. It uses a keychain remote to activate. I also use a Kryptonite lock through the sprocket and rotor.

Larry

Top Bottom