pw455

Sep 5, 2000
What's the latest consensus on dual-sporting the '02 520/400EXC?

I'm basically looking for a modern, green-sticker dirt bike to convert to dual-sport. All of the factory dual-sports are too heavy and more street oriented. I'm 31, 5'11", 165lbs and will probably ride 75% dirt / 25% street. The dirt will be mostly trails, but I want something that can easily handle the jumps when I get to them. Street will mainly be backroads and neighborhoods.

How many of you have successfully dual-sported this bike?

Cons that I have heard are:
-not having a cush hub
-thin 5th & 6th gears
-KTM doesn't recommend it

How major are these cons, and are there any others?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
First, The KTM RFS's are not green sticker bikes. Some guys have been able to get green stickers for them but they do not meet the emmision standrds for California to get a green sticker. One problem with dual sport conversion in California. If the bike is off highway, was manufactured after '97, does not meet emmisions standards, and was issued a red sticker or has the dreaded 3 or c in the 8th digit of the VIN you cannot get an on road plate. Some guys do get away with it but if the DMV you go to knows what they are doing they will turn you down because none of the KTM off road bikes including the 4 strokes meet emmisions standards for California. One option is if you can get it titled with a plate from out of state they MAY allow you to change it to California with out any hassle since it was already legal in another state.

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
KTM is supposed to offer a 400/520EXC-G model for California in 2002. It will be green sticker legal . There are a few more posts out there if you look.

Until I heard this news, I was pretty much decided on an XR650R. The main things that I don't like about the XR is they're too heavy & no electric start. The KTM's are both light and have the button. I've also heard that the quality is much better on the KTM's.

Pete

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I hadn't heard about the green sticker model. If that's true I may have to get a 520exc. I dual sported my XR600 and it's fun but no where near what a 520exc would be. I'm thinking you would have to do a few mods to the 520 just like the XR650 to get the power back. It would be worth the work. If they can take the pounding of hard offroad riding I wouldn't think some easy road miles would be harmful to the drivetrain.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by pw455
KTM is supposed to offer a 400/520EXC-G model for California in 2002. It will be green sticker legal . There are a few more posts out there if you look.

whaaaa???? huh????? looked, didn't find it. care to share more?

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Last edited:

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
I m currently riding a 01 400exc. i converted it to super motard. done 3000+ km on the bike and still running. as there are not much off-road tracks down here. i decided to keep it this way. average distance covered per trip ranges from 30-60km per day. been riding it hard on the roads. so far so good.:cool:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by pw455
I've also heard that the quality is much better on the KTM's.

Pete

Humm, not sure if I can agree with that one, Honda vs. KTM. Honda quality overall - engineering, manufacturing, serviceability, etc. is outstanding. Do they pick some of the components, like bars and tires, to meet a specific price point? Sure, because the are competing with the other Jap brands.

You are right though, the bikes are worlds different. Based on your original post I'd have to steer you to an '02 DRZ400S. It has some dirt-worthy improvements and has greatly advanced the species of factory street-legal dirt bikes.

Good luck with your decision,

Last edited:

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for the replies so far,

Djebel250,
How often do you change your oil/filters with the limited capacity. Do you ever ride the bike hard on the street? I'm wondering how well the tranny will hold up. Ever had any problems with head shake riding at speed on the highway?

TexKDX,
If I was to buy an off-the-shelf dual sport bike, it would definitely be the DRZS. It's in a different class from the other DS's. Reasons that steer me away from it are weight, CV carb and suspension. I know Suzuki is upgrading the suspension on them for 02, but it's still not the same as the off-road model. And even the off-road model's suspension sounds like it needs some work.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
Well.... When i 1st got the bike. it came with off road tyres and riding at speeds above 100km/h will cause the bike to head shake. but ever since i changed it to motard tyres. the head shake just goes away!!!:D
As for the oil change/filters change interval. i stick to the manufacturers instructions. 1st oil/filters change at 20 litres of fuel and subsequently oil/filters change every 100 litres of fuel of 15 hrs which ever comes first.
I tried oils like maxima full synt 15w-50 and castrol 10w-50. as my riding terrain is all streets and high way with temp ranging from 25*c to 34*c.
sea-level. liked the maxima oil but the lousy dealer over here dont have the stock i want (after i bought the last two bott frm him) from then i changed to castrol. next oil change is coming real soon:( regards John

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
John -

Does your bike have a solid rear hub or a cush drive rear hub?

Also, does your dealer make any warnings about so much street use?

Are you aware of any restrictors in the bike that limit its horsepower dramatically?

Does it have any obvious street-ready add-ons, like a cooling fan or coolant overflow tank?

Your location (non-US) and use has us all curious if the bike is different. Thanks!

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
TexKDX, My 400exc dont have a cush hub on the rear. as for restrictions, i havn't taken apart the carburator to really SEE any restrictions. but the power is good enough to knock out any xr400r on the road. (Not yet tried with a wr400f yet) Don't know which country's model they have brought into Singapore. Aust or USA model. my engine's kill button on the right dont lock in place when pressed. Got a clue? I had added a cooling fan from KTM on the bike myself. works prety well. Don't intend to put on a coolant overflow tank. maybe a small medicine bott will do the trick.:p Oh, the rear muffler is a EXC type. cheers to street riding.:cool:

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for all the information so far.

Anybody out there running knobbies or dual-sport tires on the street? Any problems with headshake, and if so, what did you do to eliminate it? Steering stabilizer? Knobby style? Air pressure? Suspension settings?

Thanks,
Pete

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
the 2002 exc four strokes ARE california green sticker legal so therefore can be registered for the street once you have installed the correct lighting equipment etc. the reality is you just need to get a statement of fact from an accredited mechanic to present to your dmv. the dealer that you buy the bike from can do all the paperwork. the 2002 california bikes come with different jetting and a jet kit that you must put in immediately to get the bikes back to full power.

i personally have a 2000 that i have registered for the street (subject of another thread). my dual sport work mostly consists of short road work connecting long dirt trails.

all of the talk about the rfs not being suitable for real dual sport is b.s. first of all the bikes are sold street legal in europe. secondly i'll give you an example of a ride i did the other week. it was a three day 450 mile ride up around the lost coast in northern california. about 150 miles were fast street/twisty mountain tarmac roads. the dirt consisted of fast jeep roads, county graded dirt roads and a little single track. i started the ride with fresh oil and filters. at the end of it the oil looked almost new, there was nothing in the screens and no metal on my drain screw, and this was real dusty ride. i did manage to destroy a dunlop 606 by the end of the ride however.

the other interesting thing about this ride is that out of the 17 riders there were 12 ktms--10 rfs. there were no mechanical failures. enough said.

Last edited:

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks creator8. I have a few more questions:

1. How often do you normally have to change your oil/filters?

2. Have you had any headshake or stability problems with the DOT knobbies?

3. How hard do you ride it on the street? I've heard about the possibility of 5th and 6th gears failing because of how thin they are.

Thanks,
Pete

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
just to confirm that the 2002 excs ARE california green sticker legal, one of the guys on the above mentioned ride actually had a 2002 that he had bought from the dealer california street licensed. it is true!!

in answer to your questions.

1. i change my oil and filters every 400-500 miles which was recommended by a local dealer. i did the first change around 200. i have around 2000 miles on my bike. i ride it hard in the dirt. i have never had any major dirt/gunk/metal in my oil after changing or any drops in level between changes. i AM religious about changing my air filters every ride no matter how long. i did one valve adjust around 400 miles and am due for a check right now.

2. not that that i've noticed and i've run both dot and non dot. however i do run a scotts steering damper which is essential for these bikes in the dirt anyway. it doesn't ride super smooth like a street bike but its acceptable.

3. i'm not a big fan of fast street riding (thats why i ride dirt) but i don't snap the throttle, pull wheelies or drop down through the gears to use engine breaking to slow down. most street riding is in 5th and 6th gear. i've had no problems or indications of any. the reality is that there is probably less strain on the tranny/clutch than hauling across the desert at 70 mph.

the rfs ktms aren't ideal street bikes (not comfortable for long periods of sitting down) but in the dirt they are exceptional: easy to ride, light, powerful, nimble and well suspended. if dirt is your main thing then they are awesome dualsporters. be aware though that they need a lot more maintenance than your average honda xr or suzuki dr. its worth it at least until honda makes an xr out of that crf!

Last edited:

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for all the information. I've been trying to decide between the 520EXC and the XR650R. Everyone here says get the KTM and everyone on the XR forum says get the XR. It would be a much easier choice if the $$ were comparable because I'm leaning towards the KTM on everything else.

Pete

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
In response to the XR650R vs. KTM 520EXC. I have ridden them both. The following is my opinion. YMMV

The big XR is an amazing bike, in that it can even stay upright in the dirt, not to mention perform well, this thing is huge. It tracks very well over everything. The XR is not deflected by roots or sandy sections, or whoops, it just goes "about" where you point it. It has a low reving engine and likes to be lugged most of the time. It is not as powerful in stock form as the KTM though. It is a heavy bike and in certain situations it can be a handfull. It needs to be uncorked to perform well. When uncorked it becomes kinda loud. It is also kinda tiresome to ride in tight stuff, although it can do it. It really likes open areas. I have ridden one with the HRC power up kit (piston, cam and cam chain) in addition to a full race exhaust. This bike makes good HP and will probably keep up with a CR500 in a drag race. I am not a fan of electric starting, and the big XR is fairly easy to start, most of the time. The XR has one of the worst headlights I have ever seen. and the stator needs to be rewound to get more lighting power. This bike is very comfortable (like a couch) and would make a great street bike. The suspension is soft. My overall rating is GOOD, 3 on a scale of 1 to 5.

The KTM 520EXC is a super motorcycle. it has rip snorting power. It has very good suspension. In a drag race, it will eat a stock XR650R for lunch, and easily match or beat the uncorked XR. It also has 6 well spaced gears. This gives the KTM a wider range of speed. Top speed in 6th is faster than the big XR. Slow speed is also easier to manage on the KTM as 1st is slightly lower. The fact that the KTM is so much lighter than the XR is amazing considering the KTM has electric start (which seems to work very well). It's trail manners are excellent and this bike is a joy to ride. The KTM needs little to nothing in the way of motor mods. The suspension seems well tuned for all around riding, and just a tad soft for very agressive or big riders. The KTM comes with a far far better headlight and will run an even bigger one. One drawback, it has a hard seat, I like softer seats. My overall rating is EXCELLENT, 5 on a scale of 1 to 5.

Chris

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I forgot to mention that here in Florida, the big XR tends to overheat in the tight stuff and spit out water. Yes we have installed a higher pressure rad cap.

Chris

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for the great info cujet.
Has the XR that boils over been uncorked and been properly jetted? I've heard the overheating is a common problem until you remove airbox baffles, replace restricted manifold, swap/drill out exhaust baffle and most importantly richen the jetting. Also, a lot of thermostats have been known to stick.

One difference that I notice between the -G KTM's and the XR650R's is that it is much easier to modify the KTM back to full performance. I wonder if Honda just went a little overboard when they went for their green-sticker compliance to make sure they passed 1st time?

Pete

Top Bottom