Dualsport question, opinions needed.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
I am getting into DSing this year. Finally,Yeaaa! I'm 33, Riding since I was 11 but stopped due to injuries at 23. I want an e-start because of knee problems and also would prefer air cooled. I'm 5'7@200lbs. Are there any e-start aircooled dualsports out there?

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Forgot to add I live in Pa so I will do alot of "In the woods trail riding". I think you guys call that single track. Thanks

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Honda's XR650L sounds like it would fit.
Air cooled and sports that "magic button".
Although it depends on what you like as far as riding singletrack -w- it.
Some people faint when they hear it weighs over 325 pounds, but if your a big guy it's not that bad.
I had some of my best rides ever -w- my 320lb XL500R back in those wonderful Pa. woods! :)
Although, the best thing is to "try it before ya buy it".

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
Suzuki DR350SE from '95 to '99 are electric start. Excellent trail bikes too. Check out maximum-suzuki.com for some great DR specific info. -Steve

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Silly, silly boys. Anyone who's 5' 7" with a bad knee doesn't want a bigass pig of a bike with a 37 inch high seat. Might I suggest considering a Kaw Super Sherpa 250.
super light 249 lbs, 32.7 inch seat height and enough power to go 85+ mph. Suspension is good and quite agile. It's just a blast to ride! Cheap too, at $3,999. At least check it out. What've you got to loose but 75 lbs of extra weight.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
I never even heard of a Kawi super sherpa. That sounds awesome. I hope they are air cooled. I'm going on the Kawi website to check them out, thanks sherpa 250. My buddy has a 94 xr650r that I will be playing with sometime this month when the weather lets up. Its tall for me but I think it can be lowered a little.
I just took a major hit on selling a street bike that I never rode so I really don't feel like doing that again. 1800 loss owll. Probably next month I will be buying something with nobbies and a plate [yea baby]. I should have did that 10 years ago. Thanks guys Rich

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Just checked out the super sherpa at Kawi's websight.Looks neato, aircooled, electric start. I will definately check those out at the dealerships in the local area. Someone might have a leftover they can't move on. Sherpa 250 I take it your real happy with yours. How many miles do you have on it? How is it over small jumps?[thats all I plan on doing at most]. Rich

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Rich,

I've had my SS about a year now with over 3,200 miles and it has been a joy. It is electric start and air cooled for real convenience. It's real good on smaller jumps and is easily handled on tighter trails. I get about 75 MPG on the road and nearly as good on backroads and trails.

I bought a leftover 2000 model OTD for 3,477 and have since put on handguards and a high fender from the KLR 250 which bolts right on. The high fender makes it look so much better but I've drilled holes at the back for proper cooling of the air cooled engine. If this bike isn't enough for you then your options shrink along with your wallet.

I'm finally getting through to somebody. You don;t need a BIG bike to have a blast. It's more fun to ride a bike than to have it ride you.

Good Luck, Sherpa 250

92cr

May 18, 2002
You might also want to check out the 96' and newer DR650.It has a low seat height and can be made lower yet with the second bolt hole on the bottom of the shock.A friend of mine had one who around your size.He added some Pirelli MT21 tires and that made a huge difference.It should also be geared lower.The extra power would sure come in handy on road stretches or long climbs if you'll be doing that at all.I agree that the XR650 would be too tall.I'm nearly 6 ft. and found my 94xr650 tall at times on single track.Oh yeah, if you're going to get a "SUPER" Sherpa at least put a "real" motor in it. Just kidding!!

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Riche;

I've seen the dyno sheet on the SS and it puts out 26HP and 19+ FTLBS of torque. Most of the dual sport 650s put out around 38-40 HP and mid 30s FTLBS of torque. DRZ-S puts out about 32 HP. So the SS isn't so weak afterall CR. One thing I did to mine to improve driveability was to put one size bigger main and pilot jets in it. Gives it better low-end too.

I'm not discounting all the other dual sports out there but making aware that not all are tall seated, they're just smaller engine sized. Example- Yamaha TW 200 and XT 225 both have 31 inch high seats and Suzuki has the DR 200 with 32 inch height they are just a wee bit underpowered. It's a free country.

Sherpa 250

92cr

May 18, 2002
I'm totally joking Sherpa250.I completely understand why someone would want a smaller cc bike. After spending time on xr 250's I can see how much fun they can be in alot of different terrain compared to a 330lb. 650.

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Hey 92cr I knew you were joking but I was actually trying to inform the uninformed about facts and figures. I really wished there were more "big" dual sports out there with a seat height of 33 inches or less. I've been on dirtbikes for almost 30 yrs so I've had much experience riding many different bikes, but like when I can actually touch the ground without sidesaddling.

Hey riche. how's the search going? Haven't heard from you in a while and a, curious.

sherpa250

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Sherpa. I own a KLR-250 I picked up last fall that was my winter project. The bike was in really bad shape and I couldn't even ride it. I should be getting the engine back in a few weeks and I will be playing with that this summer [maybe]. I don't really like water-cooled bikes that you take miles back in the woods in never-never land but I needed something to keep me busy. I might move the KLR it depends how much I like it. The KLR is kickstart and watercooled. The SS is electric start and aircooled. In my opinion the SS has the advantage. I also spotted some used SS,s in the local classifieds for really good prices,2400-2800.
The KLR feels good when sitting on it I can touch with no problems so I can't wait to actually ride it in a couple weeks. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing. I think the SS is really cool though. Rich

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
What does a SS top out at? Can it pull highway speeds? I'm looking for a bike for my wife to commute and do a little trail riding. She wants a low seat height and electric start.

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Lobster, I've had my SS up to 85 mph when tucked down and can generally get an easy 75 to 80 mph when sitting upright. I've also ridden it extensivly on the local freeway [US 31]at steady speeds of 70 to 75 mph with no problem keeping up with most traffic. The worst thing about just sitting there going fast is that the seat gets a bit hard after about 75 or so miles. Sure there are better bikes dedicated strictly to street riding but it sure is nice to see a dirt backroad and see where it goes. I spend many Sunday afternoons doing just that. Plusses are 75 MPG and easy handing with little maintenance.

Riche, the SS is much lighter feeling when sitting on than the KLR but the KLR has a few more HP. I would like to ride a KLR someday for comparisons sake.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Sherpa, If your ever near Pittsburgh look me up. My KLR should be together in a few weeks. The way it is going I'm going to be a multi-bike owner. It seems like there is no perfect specimen. I think maybe a SS for everyday comuting to work and weekend play locally. For some serious excursions up north with some lenghtly highway travel the XR600R might be the ticket. Even though they call it the big fat red [? or something] that bike is bulletproof.
A small 250ish bike and a 600 dualsport monster. I think there is enough room in my shed for those. Might have to build a dogbox for the lawnboy though. Rich

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
I agree with the notion that you don't need a large displacement heavy bike to have some fun. I'm still enjoying the heck out of my 99 KLR250. Inexpensive, reliable and good on or off road, not great buy good. Hey, fun is fun when the day is over.
Riche, what is the problem with water cooling, if its maintenance, the only thing I've done is look at the expansion tank water level, it's always just where it's supposed to be. As far as e-start, the KLR 250 turns over easy, no jumping required, just one leg, right or left will do. I used to have a Bultaco Matador, the preferred starting position was stand next to bike while holding bars and kick from there, this technique works well on the KLR 250.
Just my 2 cents but I'd stay away from the larger DS bikes until you get back into the sport for at least one season. Remember collecting bikes is half the fun.

I'm afraid you may overwhelm the power of SS, but more importantly the suspension will be stressed to its limits ie NO JUMPING! I have the settings for my KLR maxed out and I use all of it in the dirt and I'm 165 lbs.

sherpa250

Apr 14, 2002
Hey Mudwalker, there is only maybe 3HP between the two bikes-not a real big deal when considering the SS weighs less. As far as suspension, the two bikes have nearly the same components other than the KLR's air forks. I've not yet bottomed out hard on my SS at 175lbs. It's not really made to do that anyway- 2 or 3 ft high jumps are about it. My two cents and experienced opinion.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Guys. I just picked up my engine today! I might have time in the next couple weeks to get the KLR back together. It's like a new bike to me considering I never rode it yet. I'm excited to say the least. Saturday I will be taking the rads to the shop for a pressure test and leak test.
Wish me luck guys this is my first fix-up. It has kept me busy during the winter. Rich

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Mudwalker. Forgot to add. I think that two rads,lines,thermostate,and pump are preventive maintenance items. Eventually the pump wears ie. needs to be replaced. The thermostate sticks and needs to be replaced eventually. Coolant flushes every couple years. The idea is to replace these items on some sort of schedule so you don't have problems. For a DS I would rather not have to worry about these items, especially out in the boonies where I plan on taking the KLR.
I will ride the KLR this summer and get some time on it and who knows. You have to admit that SS is preaty cool. All terain moped with balls and suspension. I might NEED one in the future. Rich

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
Riche, Thanks for the heads up on maintenance. I'll keep an eye on my temprature gage. As far as scheduling maintenance on cooling system, your right, flushing system is good idea, don't forget the distilled water! Also pay particuler attention to your steering head and swingarm/unilink bearings as Kawasaki apparently has a greese shortage, they are nearly dry when new! Don't make the mistake of putting this off, do it now.

Sherpa250, I'm spoiled on the power issue, I also have a KDX 200 with a LA sleeve 240 big bore newly rebuilt top end and suspension, this bike rips. The KLR in comparison seems sluggish but sufficient for what I like which is singletrack woods riding. By the way, I will not ride this bike on the interstate.
Way to light, trucks passing buffet me and the machine, I prefer two lane roads with speeds no greater than 60mph. I am running Dunlop 606's (knobbies) that I don't think were really made for high speed on pavement, you be carful at those speeds, that bike is absolutely maxed out at 80, engine sizure, tire failure, wheel bearing failure among othet things are always a possibility. You guys need to spend more time getting muddy.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Picked up both rads at the shop yesturday. Pressure/ leak tested and the guy painted them for $25.00. Now I know my cooling system is going to hold when bike is at operating temp. Now I need to replace the rad protective housing pieces that were broken. I might design something that is more durable than stock. The last guy banged these rads up preaty good and I don't want to worry about them if I go down.
Worked all weekend NOT as planned so hopefully I can get some time to put this back together this week. I'm finally getting close. Rich

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
The stock radiator protection is just metal screen\mesh, seems like an easy fix. You have an oppertunity to make something more durable as the stock screens seem pretty flimsy. Good luck.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
BIG OLD FART LIKE YOU AN ME KNOW LOTS OF GUYS WITH THOSE KTM ELEC.START THEY ALL LOVE EM. SEVEAL ARE DS AND RACED THEY ALL SAY ITS THE BEST BIKE THEY HAVE EVER OWNED.CHECK OUT ON THUMPER.COM AND YOU SHALL SEE.

Top Bottom