Dualsport question, opinions needed.

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Well guys its been a few months. Guess what? Put 600-700 miles on the ol KLR 250 and I love it. Kick starts on the second kick almost every time. I ride it to work almost every day. 70-75 mpg is the greatest.
A couple weeks ago I was trail riding with a friend on a XR650L. We stuck together the whole time. He thought his 650 would blow the KLR away but it didn't happen. The 650 might have more torque but the 250 will hang all day.

Started hitting jumps again. The small ones are no problem but I did bottom preaty hard around 5 feet in the air. Being 210 lbs on the little KLR didn't help. I figure I'm to old and fat to be doing that crazy stuff I did 12-13 years ago. Kinda glad my bike's not a jumper. Just like its owner.

All in all this dual sport thing is the most fun I've had in a long time. I'm definately addicted. Since I ride to work every day the wife said if I have too many problems with my resurected KLR just go buy a new one!!

As long as this 250 purrs like a kitten I'm saving my change for when I need an upgrade. Possibly a KTM, DR400S or a 340 big bore kit for the KLR. But I will definately put some miles on this bike since I worked all winter on it.

Take it easy fellow dualsporters. Rich

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, I'm a bit larger than you, and older too. The Sherpa actually jumps pretty good but I still prefer the KDX for that. And like the others said it will run 80+ when you're tucked in but I notice when I sit up it has a tough time pulling high gear in a 30 mph breeze.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Honda's coming out with the CRF250X. Honda, liquid cooled, electric start enduro, it's about damn time. The bike is on the Honda website and I've heard the 450x will be out in late 04' or early 05'.

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
Now if Honda would throw some street legal lights, a horn and a spedo on it, we would all have something to look forward to! Why won't they do this, they would sell a ton of them?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
that's a really good question.  I wonder if there is some concern on the reliablilty of the engine for sustained highway use.  After all, the power to displacement ratio is pretty high for the 450.  More importantly, the piston and other internal components are built very light weight for high rpm capability.

I guess many folks have dual-sported the YZWR, but I haven't heard much feedback.

If they do come out with a street legal 450, put my name on the list!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
look at the yamaha xt225 - lightest weight of the mfg's dual sports - i have run 70mph on mine (flat and straight road). seat height is around 33". 0 to 30 time is good but from 50 up requires some time -- can really feel it on a long uphill. i like the bike as it can be tossed around on trails and can ride to lunch - also did i mention the light weight... :^) and an e-start. oh, i also get away with parking in bicycle spot next to office as can easily push it in place. i only have about 1200 miles on mine in past year with no problems (about 850 on road and reminder on dirt). only complaints for offroad is I can bottom suspension in 3' jump and 1-3 gears are too tall for tight single track. is a smooth blast on fireroads.

cbs

Nov 12, 2003
Hi guys, I have an 03 TTR600E out here in the UK, check em out, did have a 96 xr600 and got pissed climbing on it and ''starting it'' TTR has a lower seat height, magic button and it fires first touch, (even when its laying on you) Ohlins forks & shock, YZ swingarm and linkage and lots of real nice dual sport touches and even fold out passenger footrests and of course it uses an updated XT600 motor so you know it will go on for ever ! best bike I have had for many years... Regards Chris.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
About damn time is right, I wish they'd get it out here sooner. I bet it makes a cool DSer once equiped. Only concern I have is will it be big enough. 250cc's in 4 stroke power is cutting it close for highway use nowadays. Hopefully it can top 70 but I really doubt it. A KDX just does that. I'm ready to see the 450X.

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
Glad you like the D/S thing. Now how about doing some events? I dont know where in PA you are but if you are central or east ck out www.ecea.org or www.netra.org for D/S event info. I run both ecea and netra events with my ktm and I love it!
Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Guys:
I have been D/Sen bikes for years (do a TON of cross country/DSen here in Michigan, as much as possible being single track..) and can tellyou that you would NOT like or appreciate what Honda would have to do to that CRF to make it street legal in the states!! Here is one simple example - did you know that in order for the bike to be street legal OEM it has to have a steel tank? Now add on emission standards, brake standards, seat height standards, tire standards, accuracy of speedo standards (these are just a few) and you begin to see why they (Honda) choose to leave it to us guys to get "creative" and make them "legal". Personally, I choose to take an AWESOME MX bike like my KX500 and "street legal" it - MAN IS THAT FUN!!!! Maybe the term "Dual Sporting" means something different to me then most folks - if so, thats ok - it is GREAT to live in a country where it is fine to be different, sometimes :)
Woodsy
By the way, my daughter and I went Dual Sporting on my Yamaha Venture Royale 1200 out in Arizona last year, we did 600 miles of the nastiest cross country riding you can imagine on that full dresser so I guess a smaller, lighter weight bike does not necessariely = fun in the dirt :) :) Nothing quite like dirten it while listening to Willie and having your 21 year old kid with you following the North and South rims of the Grand Canyon!! Check out the pic!!

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 78

ace01

Dec 28, 2003
[
As long as this 250 purrs like a kitten I'm saving my change for when I need an upgrade. Possibly a KTM, DR400S or a 340 big bore kit for the KLR. But I will definately put some miles on this bike since I worked all winter on it.

my wife has bin dualsporting a DRZ400 for a year now, very happy with durability it will sit on 120-130kph all day and is a very desent dirt bike :Wo

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Just to clear up a popular misconception, a steel fuel tank is not required to be DOT OEM street legal. The KTM LC4's have plastic tanks and are DOT legal. A Dodge minivan has a plastic tank and is DOT legal also.

Toolman

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
SHHHHH, maybe KTM dont want the DOT to know that.....

Ed Chiera

Jan 16, 2004
I agree with Sherpa 250 in regards to ergonomics. You'll have more fun on a bike that fits better even if the horse power is a little less. I love my DR350, but I'm 6'1". My buddy is 5'10". He does OK on it, but he has commented on the height.

ajshrum

Feb 2, 2004
I'm getting an '84 XL600R, I'm just curious on the horsepower of that thing, it sounds like a damn harley. Don't know to much about it, would like to find out more, I'm buying it in perfect condition with, new topend, hot-cam kit, and supertrapp muffler for 1300.00 cash. Please let me know if this is a good deal. Haven't ridden bikes much, only when I was younger, but it handles really nice, I'm 5'9" and I can tippy toe on it, but that's how you have to do on most of those anyway. And boy does it have a crap load of power how, rfvc combustion rules. I wonder how much h.p. it puts out though. well gotta go get back to me
thanks, jason

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
My opinion on the SS is that god-awful(to me) color. My naighbor had one. Seemed to run real goos and all. But that color does not do it for me. LOL. IMHO

DR350SE

May 5, 2004
the guy's 5' 7, the honda would be too big right ?
I have the dr350se and I am 5 ' 10, and I am already thinking that I would be better off with the 650 !

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
don't forget about the DRZ-250- it has good suspension, 34" seat height is air cooled and e-start and could be converted to a dual sport . Bulletproof engine and good deals out there ( as in cheap)

Top Bottom