erac

Apr 9, 2001
I am going to buy a new bike very soon and I was wondering if it is possible to make the KDX200 street legal. I have seen the Baja Designs kit for it but I live in Ohio and have never seen a 2 stroke bike on the road (except for an old RZ here and there). I am also considering a KLX300r but it is several hundred dollars more. Does anyone know if it can be done legally with the KDX....Thx, Ross

------------------

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
If you get an old KDX (1991 or older) you can get a street title from International title service and then register it in your state:
http://www.netbikes.com.au/its-titles.htm

That's how people register the old Canada only RZ500 in the U.S.. There are still lots of RZs kicking around if you're looking for a real street legal 2 stroke. Here's the RZ owner's group web page:
http://www.rzrd500.com/bbs_index.html

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I hope that helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JohninKY (edited 04-09-2001).]

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Yes, it can be done. I had a '90 KDX200 and a '91 KDX250 that were California street legal with a Baja kit. Had each one for four years and lots of fun. BUT 2 stroke dual sporting is not for everyone and four strokes do make better road bikes for most people.

On the KDX, if you want to run a brighter 55 watt DOT legal headlight all the time you will probably want to rewind the stator ($75 or so) to put out more watts.

The base $400+- cost of the Baja kit does not include a rear view mirror or the stator re-wind, or street legal tires (if you need them). You will also spend more money on street registration in most states. Depending on your state laws, you may be able to become legal without the full Baja Desings kit.

Their web page is www.bajadesigns.com

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Thanks, I am going to call the odmv tomorrow to find out what parts I need to do the conversion. One thing I just thought of was the fact that I need to use premix in the KDX. Back in the 80's we used to mix the oil and gas right in the bikes tank, is that a good idea when riding on the road or not?

------------------

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I have never had anything but 2 strokes for my dual purpose bike. We have 4 2 strokes that are street legal. We did them ourselves and can biuld a kit for you if you tell me your state requirements. You do need to get your stator rewound if you want a 55watt headlight to work properly. I just carry the oil in my pack with pre measured marks on the side for how much to pour in per gallon. Afer I pour the oil in, I just grab the front brakes and shake it up real good. I have done this for 7 years with no problems.

Email me if you have any further questions on how to do your own conversion. (it will save you hundreds of dollars)

Brenda

------------------
89, 92 KDX 200, 240
98 Montesa
94 ATK 250, 406

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
It's going to depend on what the state of Ohio says.

Before you start asking the state, I would hold off until you find out from other residents of your state.

IL is tough, but can be done.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, is possible only if the bike has a full, street legal title from another state. They look at the Certificate of Origin and it states right on it that the bike is for "off road use only". They won't budge...

Wait till some others from Ohio have something to say. It might not hurt to ask on the "general forum" either. Just ask if anyone from Ohio has succesfully converted a 2-stroke over to dual sport, legally.

Let us know how it turns out....

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
I'm working on mine right as we speak! I'm taking a lot of short cuts this time as it's like my sixth conversion and I know what the inspection mechanic wants. You CAN run a 35/35 halogen instead of the 55 for one thing. You may also be able to sqeak by with some of the Fredette stuff like the fake brake light and Hi/low beam set-up. It's already wired for the KDX. You certainly wouldn't want to ride at night with this set-up unless you really get stuck somewhere. This will be my third AC-only conversion so I don't have to worry about the battery or the capacitor, plus it keeps things pretty simple. You just have to make sure you purchase an AC flasher and do somethings about a horn. Really, there are so many ways to go about doing it! You need to figure out what you want in the end ahead of time and carefully plan things out first. There's way too much on this to type so feel free to email me and maybe we can chat on the phone. As with Motochick, I'll certainly help you out in any way too.

------------------

Top Bottom