bottomfeeder

Feb 1, 2007
Ok folks. I got some real quick questions (I hope). Last time on a KDX for me was waaaay back in '82 or whenever the first year they came out with the uni-shock. Best days of my life, sniff. I had a KDX 80.

Anyway, I'm currently on a '95 Suzuki DR250es that I've owned since new. Slightly modded.

I have a chance to sell it and get a '96 KDX200 with extremely low hours and looks pert-near showroom. The transfer would cost me no money.

My two questions are as follows:

1) Is there anything negative to know about this particular model year and have there been any substainal upgrades to the KDX lineup since '96.

2) Although I have '00 Vmax for a street bike I really want to duel sport the bike. After owning one for so many years, it's just so nice to jump on the bike and ride the streets down to my favorite local riding areas. I assume the bikes have kits available or I can piece one together myself. I'm no master mehanic by any means, so the process has to be somewhat straight forward. Secondly, and more specificaly, I'm hoping someone from MN might chime in on the sucess of getting the bike plated in our great state.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

PS Funny thing, I did a spell check and it did not recognize KDX :)

Nov 25, 2006
Almost no changes since 1995. Heavier clutch springs and different graphics/colors.
dual sport is possible, a couple of 'em here on dirtrider.
The unbalanced suspension is the only issue with them stock.
Go for it!!!

Also, Search for anything on here. TONS of info. Also check out kdxrider.net, lots of info there as well.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Mines dual sported. In fact I ride my around town quite often, I've seen others around here doing the same with theirs. Of course this is Arizona and you could get just about anything tagged...

All I needed to add was a horn (bicycle bell horn will work), 1 mirror and that was it. Took me 5 minutes to pick up my plate and tags and I was done. Dont know about the laws in MN though...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I've seen Mn plated DS KDXs at Millville so it can be done.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
www.rockymountainatv.com

Check out the J-gear kit under

• A street legal conversion kit designed to meet the minimum requirements in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, North Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming
  • The kit includes tail light/brake light assembly with license plate holder, hydraulic pressure switch for the brake light, mirror, horn as well as horn switch and complete instructions.
  • KDX Kit comes with 75W lighting coil

I have the Baja Designs kit on mine, I wanted blinkers because I built it to ride on the road quite often and just figured more than the minimum lighting would get me hassled less and maybe keep me alive longer. If I had to do it again I would piece things together myself more much cheaper than what the Baja kit cost. Works good though.

93771399.jpg

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Now that is my idea of a STREET bike right there. :cool:

bottomfeeder

Feb 1, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. I know guys who have gotten WR's plated here in the Duluth MN area so I'm pretty sure its doable.

One follow up question: the guy is asking $1,500 for the bike referenced above. Does that seem like a decent price for a '96 with low hours, 100% stock?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Does anyone know of an actual person, who has plated a bike in WI with the J Gear setup?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom