Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
:bang: I am not mechanically or technically inclined. I need a spark arrestor for my bike. I was looking on the Cobra website, and they have them for pretty cheap, but I have NO IDEA which one to order, and can't seem to figure out how to figure that out. I ride a 2003 Suzuki RM 100 - all stock. And I'm certainly not saying that women are in general, dumb; I know I could figure it out with some time and effort, but I figure someone (male or female) on this site could help me out, and I'll just acknowledge my own incompetance.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The Cobra is cheap because it's just an "add on" to your existing silencer (I believe it clamps on). But it looks kinda funky and they have been known to fall off.

Pro Circuit or FMF will have silencer/spark arrestor combos that look good but are more cash.

Last edited:

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Tink, how much do you want to spend? That's probably the biggest question. The cobra slip on's are usually less but you run the risk of them falling off like mentioned. The replacement pipes are more $$ but usually you put those on and forget it. I went with the replacement silencer. If you don't need it right away(I assume this is for Corral Canyon ride) you can order one over the internet(This place has no tax and free shipping for >$100).

Here's the FMF version for your bike:
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00086539

and the Pro circuit version for your bike:
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00051207

Also, you may want to consider playing with the jetting. When I looked at your bike after your crash at Ocotillo, it looked like it was running pretty rich. Oil was dripping out and running down the silencer.

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
Thanks for the advice (and sites) Mike and Holeshot. I suppose I should just spend the $$ and get the real thing. Of course, this brings up another issue - I would have about NO idea how to change my pipe... :| Why didn't I ever take autoshop...? Damn Master's degree not doing much good right now, is it?? And I do know that my bike runs rich - not sure how to fix that, either, but Steve H. said as long as it doesn't ruin the spark plugs, it's OK (and well lubricated). I get paid on the 20th - I'll order the real deal and then beg for help... Just like Scarlett, I guess I must rely on the kindness of gentlemen... I'm going to kick my own ass. :pissed:

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Changing the pipe is simple. The next time you're out riding with one of us we can help you. It's basically unbolting off the side panel, unbolting the two bolts holding the silencer, slide back the rubber pipe seal, pull old pipe out and repeat in reverse with the new pipe.

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
There's more to jetting than just fouling plugs and gunking up your silencer packing. The KX/RM100 comes jetted very rich. When you lean it out, your bike will run better and stronger - plus it will vibrate less. You can start by replacing the main jet with one a step leaner. Then use the air screw to evaluate your pilot jet. Then you can play with your needle clip position to dial it in. It's really not that hard to jet a bike if you take it a step at a time.

I'm sure the guys at the track will be happy to help you!

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
:bang: Mark - thanks a million for the tips! You might as well have written that in Greek.... ;) I will have someone help me with the jetting after the spark arrestor deal... all this jazz costs money and right now (damn holidays) is the worst time for money!

Top Bottom