Dumb question. Wheel bearings replacement seal.

skos

Jan 24, 2009

I am replacing my wheel bearings and as you know there is a flat side and a lipped side on the seal. I pulled out the old ones and the lipped side was facing out, not the flat.

Is the flat side to be out?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
skos said:

I am replacing my wheel bearings and as you know there is a flat side and a lipped side on the seal. I pulled out the old ones and the lipped side was facing out, not the flat.

Is the flat side to be out?

Sounds like someone put the seal in backward at some point.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Brings up an interesting point though and one I have often thought about. The seal lip goes to the inside to keep grease in. But the bearings are sealed bearings. So what keeps dirt and water from entering? Garden tillers (at lease the ones I have been into) don’t have sealed bearings on the tine axle they run in heavy oil. The interesting part is they have a seal with the lip turned in to keep the oil from coming out and there is another seal turned with lip toward the outside to prevent dirt from entering. Like Garb said I put grease inside the seal before installing it helps to keep water out. I have often wondered why not turn the seal around because after all you want to prevent anything from entering the hub and bearings. Any thoughts?

skos

Jan 24, 2009
mideastrider said:
Brings up an interesting point though and one I have often thought about. The seal lip goes to the inside to keep grease in. But the bearings are sealed bearings. So what keeps dirt and water from entering? Garden tillers (at lease the ones I have been into) don’t have sealed bearings on the tine axle they run in heavy oil. The interesting part is they have a seal with the lip turned in to keep the oil from coming out and there is another seal turned with lip toward the outside to prevent dirt from entering. Like Garb said I put grease inside the seal before installing it helps to keep water out. I have often wondered why not turn the seal around because after all you want to prevent anything from entering the hub and bearings. Any thoughts?

Exactly!

I am thinking the person before me put them in backwards but again my manual does not show orientation.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
mideastrider said:

Exactly, The grease will repel water and trap any dirt from reaching the bearing. Just about .02% water contamination in the bearing lubricant will reduce bearing life by approx. 50%

Top Bottom