bud

Jun 29, 1999
I picked one of these up on friday for the big 2 day ride on the weekend. The tire hooked up well in all the conditions we encountered - mud, hardpack, snow, rocks, gravel, some sand - bit of everything really. It tracked straight and never let me down on the numerous snotty hillclimbs.

So it's flawless, imo? Cluck no. After this 200 mile ride, the knobs were so rounded it will need to be turned around before the next ride :(... The 756f is great, but this is my first and last 756r. It has nothing on an s12 rear.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Sn#w? Watch it, that's four letter word in my dictionary. I don't want to to know where there is snow in September!!!! I moved 1400 miles straight South in the hopes of never having to see the stuff ever again.:cool:

I just put on an S12 and hope to take the bike out this afternoon, after my son gets out of school, and try it., if it doesn't start storming again.
Darn and as I type that it has started to rain again.:(

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
betcha it's the southern hemisphere, oz or new zealand maybe. don't forget, they ski in south america in what is the summer in the continental us.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Yep, Australia. Near Mt Baw Baw in Victoria to be exact. It was the first time I've ridden in snow though it's only 60 miles or so from my house.

B

biglou

Re: 756

I LOVE that rear tire. But it is a double-edged sword. Performance like that semms to always come at a price. Durabillity in this case. If you're willing to spend the dough, it's a great tire, IMO.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Hate to belabour the point but it didn't perfom any better than an s12. A couple of the guys had new s12's, which still looked pretty close to new after this ride, and those guys had no troubles with traction either. They were on the same model bike as mine too, so it seems like a fair comparison.

All I can hope is that it might still hook up alright, despite the knobs being rounded off. I know that when an s12 starts to look like that, it's time to turn it around. Usually that's after a couple months of hard riding though :).

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The 756 doesn't even have sharp edges when it is new! They are an improvement over the 752 in turns, they don'e break loose quite as suddenly and unpredictably whne leaned over, but they still aren't as predictable as some other tires. I have started using the M12 rear with an S12 front, and this combination blows the 756s away.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
Spanky,

I have an S12 front that I haven't tried yet, I have always used the M12. How does the S12 compare to the M12? I've heard people say they are flat prone. I use the M12 or S12 rear and both are great.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've used S-12s, M-12s, 756's and 755's. IMO, the S-12 and the 756 both wear much better than average and have exceptional performance in soft and intermediate terrain.

The M-12 is among the best wearing knobbies ever, but it does not perform as well in soft/intermediate terrain as the S-12 or 756. For summer riding or dual sport, the M-12 wears very well, especially the rear. Due to the thick sidewall, you can run low pressure on the M-12.

The 755 will chunk in the rocks or dual sporting, even the front. In soft terrain and when fresh, it will match the 756 or S-12, but does not wear as well, IMO.

To summarize, either the S-12 or 756 are excellent tires for any conditions except hard-pack.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave,
I'm headed up to Dave Wood's class at Downieville the 22/23. I've got a 756 on the front with 1 ride and the 739 on the back has 1 ride left on it. I'm doing the dual sport at Downieville the 29th and will be swapping to my MT21s for that ride. Is the 739 on the rear a serious handicap at Downieville or should I get off my lazy but and put on the new 756 in my garage (only to take it off)?

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Brian, I haven't been to Downieville (its supposed to be great) and have never used the 739, so I can't help much. You will probably be on some challenging trails. To get the most out of the class, I'd run the fresh tire. Then you could just leave the 756 on for the dual sport.

Have fun at the class! I hear they are excellent.

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave,
Thought you had ridden Downieville - sorry.

I've thought about running the 756 for the DS ride but I really hate the idea of wasting a set of tires on pavement/fireroad. I'm going to send a email to the club rep to see how much pavement/fireroad to expect.

Thanks,
Brian

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Downieville Class & tires

I suggest you change to the 756. I have taken two of Dave's classes at Downieville. The trails are technical with loose rocks and soil. The 739 will have trouble finding traction on some of the uphills IMO.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I am curious, for all those who love the S12 fronts....what pressures are you running? I ask this because I find this tire to be excessively "squirmy" in any conditions other than sand or mud (real soft terrain), and yet many seem to love them.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
JTT, I ride in the woods up in the mountains where the soil is often soft, loamy, and damp, with lots of loose rocks scattered around for good measure. My bike isn't the greatest handler in the world no matter what kind of tire I use, so the traction of the S12 is pretty similar to the 756 on my machine. I generally run around 12 psi, with heavy-duty tubes for flat protection. The 756 does perform a little better when the ground gets hard and dry, but that isn't often where I ride, and it is not enough of a difference to matter.

Top Bottom