300bav

Nov 14, 2003
I had a 2001 520 and put many miles on it. I raced it, sunk it and put some hard miles on it and never had 1 problem. I changed oil after every ride and filters every other ride. I also had the valves ajusted on the recommened hours.

thanks

elf

Jun 7, 2003
The only problems I know of are with the03 450 sx. the bikes have been fixed for 04. Dont know anyone who has had problems with any of the big bores.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by elf
The only problems I know of are with the03 450 sx. the bikes have been fixed for 04. Dont know anyone who has had problems with any of the big bores.

What problems?

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
I don't have a 450 but have talked to guys at the track about theirs and from what I gather there were bad valves (American supplier - didn't really need to here that), weak valve springs, and wimpy clutches. One guy had actually had a valve failure but KTM didn't even bat an eye to get the problem corrected. The '04 is getting good press.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Grady the 03 had some problems with valve durability. and with clutch breaking plates. Not sure what they did to the clutch but there using valves from a different supplier.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I have been researching, and have found that the 450SX's use Titanium valves starting in 03, but I guess the 03 525SX did not get these. The 525 is same displacement as the 520 was, but the 450 is a bumped up 400. Most probably knew this, but is news to me

But there are changes to the 03 525 to improve relibility, such as lighter valve springs, crank, diff cylinder head, larger ports, lighter ignition system and ?

Is there any preventive items I can do, or look for signs of future trouble?

If clutch plates break, what are the symptoms.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Grady change your oil often. this is the best preventive thing you can do. also when you change oil look closely at the drained oil for metal particles. As far as broken plates your clutch engagement would probably feel different . also pieces of aluminum or plate framents will show up in your oil.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Originally posted by elf
Grady change your oil often. this is the best preventive thing you can do. also when you change oil look closely at the drained oil for metal particles. As far as broken plates your clutch engagement would probably feel different . also pieces of aluminum or plate framents will show up in your oil.

mine had metal particles on the oil plug many times, this is normal during
break in 100- 150 miles. There is also a large power diff betewen the 450 and

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom