Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm thinking of bringing some musical stuff to DW if anyone is intrested. Lets get a list started and see whare it goes from here.

I can bring a "small" practice PA which consists of a 900 watt, 6 channel mixer and some monitors to use for mains.

Pearl drum kit.

Guitar amp or two

Bass amp (but no bass guitar)

some mics and stands

couple of par 64's

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'll bring my flattop plus an extra.
I'll also bring an electric six string and an amp, and I may have a harp or two in my pocket. I only play some basic mandolin, but if anyone is interested, say so and I can pack one.

Jeff, it may be a good idea for us to list a few of the songs that we may want to offer since most of us won't get a chance to meet up with others and practice prior to the event. Perhaps we can get a few to list stuff here and and we can just e-mail amoungst ourselves to get a specific songlist comrised. Myself, I'm into anything from Almonds, Skinnard to Pearl Jam, BadCo, Blues to Steve Earle, Merle, George, Hank, and a few of my own...whatever it takes. (lol....did I mention I suck?) :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I play my nose, pick and blow that is. Seriously, I'll see if I can get a bass. The arthritus is pretty bad so my playing may reflect that. I can play anything Jaybird throws at me.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
Jeff, it may be a good idea for us to list a few of the songs that we may want to offer since most of us won't get a chance to meet up with others and practice prior to the event. Perhaps we can get a few to list stuff here and and we can just e-mail amoungst ourselves to get a specific songlist comrised. Myself, I'm into anything from Almonds, Skinnard to Pearl Jam, BadCo, Blues to Steve Earle, Merle, George, Hank, and a few of my own...whatever it takes. (lol....did I mention I suck?) :)
Sounds good to me. I can't see making it too much work though, perhaps we should wait to "play" any music til the "bomb fire" is under way that way it will make us sound better. Ever see the Blues Brothers when they got the gig in the country bar? Stand By Your Man over and over. "The good news is you made $250., the bad news is your bar tab is $350."

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
I play my nose, pick and blow that is. Seriously, I'll see if I can get a bass. The arthritus is pretty bad so my playing may reflect that. I can play anything Jaybird throws at me.
Great! To tell the truth I haven't picked up my guitar in quite a while other than rehearsal last week and I could really tell just how rusty I've gotten.

One thing I'm really shy on is 1/4 cords (instrument cords). If you can get your hands on one of those it may come in handy.

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
I'll throw my bass in the mix as well. Anyone is welcome to use it, but it has 5 strings so you "traditional" folks might want a regular one... ;)
Oh, and I suck too, don't really know any "real" songs, just the stuff me and my friends write, but just jamming is fine with me too... :aj:
and Jaybird, bring that mandolin, I'm goin to see Bela Fleck and the 'tones tomorrow night so I might get some bluegrass inspiration...

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
dang! i'm missing all the fun. you guys suck.

i used to play drums (they got stolen a couple of years ago). i would be playing without my right foot anyway. besides, i probably won't be there until friday nite. i hate being injured. :ugg:

B

biglou

I don't think the kind of stuff I play would go over too well with most at DW. If anyone wants to jam on some speed metal from back in the day, I might do that if I get liquored up enough. But we gots ta play it loud, and that probably wouldn't be a good thing...

"Opposition...Contradiction...Premonition...Compromise
Agitation...Violation...Mutilation...Planet dies"

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I can kind of play the electric bass, but im a tuba playin fool. unfortunatley there isnt going to be enough room to bring it to DW :( . Im bringing my 10gb MP3 player with me, ive got about 2500 songs on it. Now I wish i had went for the 20gb version :whiner: So when you guys get tired of playing (or get boo'ed off the stage?) we can keep the party goin. Jeff we need more than a couple of monitors! Cooperland is a big place ya know! ;)

Last edited:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Ya, I know not something you see a lot of people playing. I played in our highschools quartet and we did a lot of swing music and jazz. Of course I also did the whole marching and concert band thigns too, but those werent near as much fun!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by dave186
Jeff we need more than a couple of monitors! Cooperland is a big place ya know! ;)
I got enough to cover it I bet, unfortunantly I don't have a way to get it there if I plan to bring motorycles. :think:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
A second stage is in order for Lou and the rest of us freaks. I got some bongos and a triangle.

"I don't wanna holiday in the sun. . ."

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by BigLou
If anyone wants to jam on some speed metal from back in the day, I might do that if I get liquored up enough. But we gots ta play it loud, and that probably wouldn't be a good thing...

Maybe I should have clarified what kind of music me and my friends write :p I.e. we are still stuck in the 80's early 90's ... old (real) Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Sepultura, Death, Fates Warning, Dream Theatre, Napalm Death, etc., etc. so Lou, you will be right at home, no liquor required :aj:
But, for the other folks, I do listen and jam to other more ummm... stable music (blues, jazz, etc.) It should be fun for all. But I do come from the era where the guitar players still did solos so someone who can do that would be way cool!!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by SirReel
I do come from the era where the guitar players still did solos so someone who can do that would be way cool!!!
I've been known to whip out some Neil Van Malmstein. At least that's what it sounds like to me after I mix um all together. I just mask everything with distortion and volume, or was that valluum?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
He related to, Ingvey Malmstein???

I have a feeling we will be plenty overdriven and distorted!
:aj:

B

biglou

For the folks in the audience, remember one thing: The more you drink, the better we'll probably sound...:eek:

B

biglou

I was thinking the same thing. There will be a lot of young ones there, and after many hours and days in the saddle, the hands, fingers and even legs will be mucho tired. I'm thinking of a cold one and some of Eddies grilled onions on a brat.... Maybe a little acoustic pickin' should be the order of the day? I'm ot bringing any of my axes, and I've got some really cool ones, just because I will be loaded down already. Too much high-dollar hardware to keep track of. PS, Eddie, I'll bring a bag of onions with me! :)

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
heheheh... guess we are gettin old, cause I was thinkin the same thing... back in the day, I would have been more like, screw em, we need it LOUDER. But that's why I threw in the blues, jazz, stuff, just some mellow "background music" and maybe we could speed it up when Rich gets near the fire ... kinda like that cartoon music as everyone scatters :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Metal heads reunion! :aj:

One skin smashin' metal head checkin' in. I haven't touched a stick in ten years, but I still play the heck outa my living room furniture.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
I was just thinking that it really might be a good idea for you guys to set up about 4 miles down the road from Cooperland and whoever wants to, can go down there! Not that I'll be going to bed early but a HUGE part of DW (for me) is visiting with all the people I get to meet - I can listen to 'noise' anytime.
it's seetled then, Stage is setup next to TTR Guy, I'll be bringing the entire setup and it'll be Woodstock III. :p

Seriously, I wasn't planning on bring a big artillary of sound gear, just enough for those that want to piddle fart around and are afraid of getting too close to the BOMB FIRE. It'll be something to use for awards and announcments too. I prefer to play on an electric guitar when there is a drummer around and bass is hard to hear if it's not plugged in.

Originally posted by BigLou
Maybe a little acoustic pickin' should be the order of the day? I'm ot bringing any of my axes, and I've got some really cool ones, just because I will be loaded down already. Too much high-dollar hardware to keep track of.

I plan to be riding during the day, I don't have any duct tape to hold a flash light on my fender. :p

I won't be bringing any real high dollar equipment either except maybe my regular axe.

Remember this thread is just to see if there is an intrest in doing anything at all. Those that are intrested let me know, those that aren't, let me know too.

It might be a good idea for AJ Waggoner to put up a poll on the subject and take it from there. What ever the outcome is okay with me. I won't be offended if I don't have to carry anything more to DW than I have too.

Top Bottom