Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
2007 XC-W phase 1

It's ready for it's first test ride tomorrow. Number graphics are not in yet. I'm using my old DID wheels for parctice wheels and I took the new chain and sprockets off and put some used ones on that have 70% life still left in them. This way I have a brand new set for next season. I worked about 15 hours on it and it's brand new. Just a lot of switching things from the 2005 and making it the way I want it. I still have to test the E3 pipe and some needle jets tomorrow.

It's opretty quick as I rode it down my street a few times, it's got a really nice motor, Way better that the 2005 stock but very similar to the 2005 w/SX mods.

Attachments

• 2007 (Small).jpg
    2007 (Small).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 440

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Pretty sharp there Fred.

I love the way the black rims look but can't imagine what they would look like after a couple of my ham fisted tire changes.

Enjoy!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ride report

2007 250 XC-W

I went up to the clubgrounds with my kids today for that last ride of the summer together before Nate go's back to Houghton. We rode the entire Pinecone loop, the traction was perfect from the rains the day before. There are a few trees down too from the storms.

Coming off the 2005 250 EXC with SX mod and EE exhaust the motors are very close. I rode the ’07 bone stock motor wise and jetting. I think the 2005 has a tad more bottom and mid and I think that’s can be changed with a pipe and maybe jetting. It’s a really good motor out of the box. From there it just gets better. I sprung the shock with the spring off the 2005 and set the clickers where they were on the 05. I set the forks up the same also but 2 clicks firmer on the compression to compensate for any changes in them.

The bike is valved firmer yet very compliant in the Michigan woods, whoops and log crossings. The bike was inspiring; it felt quick and nimble and turns with ease compared to the 2005. (A bike I really loved) I felt very comfortable standing and realized I was standing more than ever which means that for me the bike is very confidence inspiring and I felt like I could attack more yet it floated over stuff and took less energy. I could steer with my feet easier, the bike felt lighter and I know it really isn’t so the suspension just makes it feel that way with the firmness.

The forks bone stock are really good and so is the shock. I only have a bit over 2 hours on the bike according to the hour meter and it was starting to loosen up motor wise and rip.

Next ride I’ll put the E3 pipe on it and after that test I’ll try some JD needles. I could have raced it today and did well I think. I'll try to get a bit more bottom and mid from the motor to make it perfect.

Oh man the brakes are great too. I love this bike and this is my 4th 250 KTM. (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007) This bike is a blast and my favorite after 1 ride. It's really good.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Good report, inspiring to get out again. (My back is pain free, only my right hip is left with residual hang-up and pain). This weekend hopefully.

Good observations on the differences. Is the '07 an entirely new motor, or major tweaks? Also, that swingarm maybe it's the angle of your picture, but is that new for '07? That looks pretty light, I'd bet it adds to good rear shock response.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mark
The swingarm seems the same as on the 2005. The cyl and head are brand new on the motor plus V force reeds.

I hope you continue to feel better, I wish you all the best on that!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Freddy,
The bike looks great for a KTM!
Don

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
October issue of Dirt Rider is now in stores. Ride reports on the 07 XC line. 2st, 4st, W's, there all included. Can't wait for some good reading tonight.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
TCTrailrider said:
October issue of Dirt Rider is now in stores. Ride reports on the 07 XC line. 2st, 4st, W's, there all included. Can't wait for some good reading tonight.

I'd trust Fred's review more than theirs; although Fred is probably just a little biast.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Well I read the Dirt Rider ride report very slowly and very carefully. The 250 smoker and 250 XCF-W passed with flying colors. Sounds like KTM nailed it on these bikes. The ride reports from all sources is impressive. Sure wish I could ride mine. :bang:

Fred, sounds like your bike will have .40 fork springs. I have a set of new .42's from my 450. If you are going up a notch let me know.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
Well I read the Dirt Rider ride report very slowly and very carefully. The 250 smoker and 250 XCF-W passed with flying colors. Sounds like KTM nailed it on these bikes. The ride reports from all sources is impressive. Sure wish I could ride mine. :bang:

Fred, sounds like your bike will have .40 fork springs. I have a set of new .42's from my 450. If you are going up a notch let me know.
It came stock with .42's denny, I'm good to go. :cool:

I have it "Dual Sport Ready" for mr Officer's inspection. I hope I pass....:ride:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
PoeBrian said:
Fred T,

She's Beautiful!!!

Does it need the sx mod's on it?

Nope, it already comes that way, it rips.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Very nice Fred.... I see that you went with an Orange one this year.

What'd you do for headlight and sparky? There's going to be a lot of brand new, extra number plates and mufflers laying around people's garages.

I think it's crap that you have to buy those as extras.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
Very nice Fred.... I see that you went with an Orange one this year.

What'd you do for headlight and sparky? There's going to be a lot of brand new, extra number plates and mufflers laying around people's garages.

I think it's crap that you have to buy those as extras.

I bought the EE lighting kit with the bike. I had the EE silencer from the 2005. If buying headlites is the alternative to not being able to ride a 2 stroke in the woods then I'll gladly buy the lights and sparky IMHO. I believe it's an EPA issue.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Asrith said:
Fred, what did you do with the old bike? Just curious.

Jim

I have a buyer for it once I get it put back together. I have a friend I'm getting into riding and he's going to buy it.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Fred T said:
....I believe it's an EPA issue.
I'm curious as to why they can sell WRs and CRFXs with headlights and sparky, but not the XCF-W? Still boil down to emissions?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
I'm curious as to why they can sell WRs and CRFXs with headlights and sparky, but not the XCF-W? Still boil down to emissions?

They are 4 strokes. BTW- I have the sheriff inspect my bike last night and he signed off on the papers. Woo Hoo!

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
I think it boils down to profits and price points - they want to be able to sell the bikes at a certain retail price and still make money.
I don't believe this crap about govt regs or making the bike ready to ride for the "masses" (you build what you want thing). Heck they sold a whole bunch of EXC's and MXC's over the years with all the lights, spark arrestors, etc. and I never heard much in the way of complaints that we had to remove stuff to be able to ride.
plain and simple - it's a marketing decision, they don't think we'd pay the extra bucks that they'd want to charge with all the stuff on the bike - i think they are wrong - we paid it for years

Top Bottom