Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CRFX and WRF are 4-strokes that come with lights / sparky.

XCFW is also a 4-stroke, but does not come with lights / sparky. :think:

How many KTM owners are NOT going to need / want to ride their bikes on a public trail. Heck, a lot will need / want to make it street legal, let alone trail-legal!

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah, I guess I can sorta understand the lack of lights as a cost cutting measure. At least the lighting coil is there! It seems like I remember Husky selling WR’s in the seventies without lights.

However, to sell the bikes in the US and not have them forest legal as delivered is just plain wrong IMO. How much cost could they be cutting by installing a closed course only exhaust? Maybe there is some sort of “agreement” with their exhaust system supplier or an aftermarket exhaust company? The first thing most XCW owners will HAVE to do is buy a new $150.00 S/A.

Maybe they should sell them without tires since most owners will want to change them out with something designed for their riding conditions. Hey, they could sell them without seats since most riders want a shorter/taller/softer/harder seat. :|

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
katoom125 said:
I think it boils down to profits and price points - they want to be able to sell the bikes at a certain retail price and still make money.
I don't believe this crap about govt regs or making the bike ready to ride for the "masses" (you build what you want thing).

I agree - ... and with having to convert and pay for my next 2T to be equipped with lights... it sure makes a Jap MX er or Gas Gas look more attractive.

A 400 EXC, 450 EXC, 525 EXC.. the only '07's with lights... are just too massive for me to point down a tight trail.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
EPA regulations may have a bearing on the lack of lights on a 2st, but not on the 4st. It has to be a price point issue. The new XCF's come with the SX, non spark arrested can. Also very loud, my estimate is around 100 decibles. I knew these were mandatory upgrades when I bought the XCF. I won't run without a spark arrestor and won't run a loud exhaust. My beef is that others will. Loud thumpers in the woods are bad for our sport and shipping bikes with loud pipes will make it worse. :yell:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
ALL thumpers regardless of different types of sparkys are loud and echo through out the woods.

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
guess you guy's don't bleed orange? How many suckers I mean people bought CRF xes because of the LED tail lite. And hey Honda's ad on the crf twinn pipe say's that the victories are almost a mathmatical certanty is typicle jap bs. Hey any body want to ride the moutain

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
ALL thumpers regardless of different types of sparkys are loud and echo through out the woods.

My KLR 650 4T is the quietest motorcycle I have ever owned. It would not surprise me if it sound tests at 6x to low 7x dba.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
TCTrailrider said:
... I won't run without a spark arrestor and won't run a loud exhaust. My beef is that others will. :yell:

I see no issue whatsoever running without a spark arrestor - although I NEVER have run without one from the 80's on. From what I can gather a SA is nothing but a legislative piece of Sheet that has and never will do anything to prevent a forest fire over a regular exhaust.

Last edited:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
nzambon said:
guess you guy's don't bleed orange? How many suckers I mean people bought CRF xes because of the LED tail lite. And hey Honda's ad on the crf twinn pipe say's that the victories are almost a mathmatical certanty is typicle jap bs. Hey any body want to ride the moutain
Yes I'll ride the mountain with ya, as a matter of fact a few of us might be coming up real soon so I'll look you up Nick.

DW

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
This week end is open as is next weekend then the trails are closed from the 18th thru the 21st for the UP300 then back open again till the start of firearm deer season. Come we got the good stuff

sanford

Apr 9, 2002
salgeek said:
I see no issue whatsoever running without a spark arrestor - although I NEVER have run without one from the 80's on. From what I can gather a SA is nothing but a legislative piece of Sheet that has and never will do anything to prevent a forest fire over a regular exhaust.

two years ago I witnessed a fire start on the right side of the trail after a bike with no spark arrestor had passed by.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Over 30 years ago you had to carry a fire extinguisher at the Jack Pine. The rules still call for the gas crew to have one.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Finally have enough bend in my knee to sit on a bike. Took the 250XCF-W out for some heat cycle runs today. Never took it past 2/3 throttle but this thing is fast, really fast. Short stroke motor spins up in a hurry. The acceleration is very close to the 450 :laugh: Can't wait to get it in the woods. :yikes:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit dog hijacks the thread title with his "hacking" skills I see.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I will return your thread title unharmed in exchange for Denny lending me his XCF-W for Upland. Bike drop-off time and location to be named later.

No cops either.... or the thread dies!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Smit pup you don't want to ride F-W it probably won't make it up the river banks....

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Nicks drinking pond water again smit pup as the F-W is no more than a glorified CRF 230, hell I'll even bet the homeless people that Nick's been arm wrestling during lunch breaks could out run than damn thing!

Ps. F/S slightly used never abused wide in the azz 07' 250 XCF-W good with kids 4500.00 - will consider trade, household items- lawn chairs - BBQ grill ect...

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
I will return your thread title unharmed in exchange for Denny lending me his XCF-W for Upland. Bike drop-off time and location to be named later.

Sounds fair. I'm on the sidelines for awhile and have been concerned about the gas getting old. Was going to take it to the Clubgrounds and drag a heavy chain through the wheels and lock it up around a big tree, post here where the key is hidden. The only problem with that is I wouldn't know who was riding it. The Upland offer sounds alot better. I'll be in touch if I can get the soft seat installed, don't want you hurting yourself. :laugh:

Top Bottom