DYDR introduces Farmer John to East coast trail riding at Paragon, 8/5-6

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Well you can start the picking on me too. The laser cutter at work broke yesterday and was offline all of yesterday and most of this morning. So that means everyone gets to work saturday morning to make up the work. Plus the damn cycle shop only got in half my parts today. Rest will be here tuesday. Have fun everyone! Looks like I'll have to play on the quad saturday night instead. :(

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Bummer Chuck! That rots!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sorry to hear that Chuck. Good thing my buddy is bringing some firewood with him!!!

See you guys tomorrow. The weather looks iffy for Friday evening (chance of thunderboomers) but cool and dry for Saturday. :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Bring the quad, Chuck! We won't laugh at you. (Much!)

You'll be missed, bud. It's just not a Paragon ride without a groundhog story or two. ;)

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
RM_guy said:
Sorry to hear that Chuck. Good thing my buddy is bringing some firewood with him!!!

See you guys tomorrow. The weather looks iffy for Friday evening (chance of thunderboomers) but cool and dry for Saturday. :)
storms arent a big deal, we caught some nice rain last time we went. Looks like I will be getting there prob around 5:30-6, see ya all then

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
You'll find us! Look for a burgundy truck towing a black enclosed trailer with two KTM's and two trials bikes, or a reddish-orange Ford towing a white enclosed trailer, with two Yamahas, Scooters truck is hard to miss with the Paragon AP stickers and the two tone bluish paint job (but he's usually the last too arrive ;) )...there'll also be a red truck, with an RM and an RM_Guy :)

You shouldn't have a problem spotting us!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you can also look for the baddest truck of them all, MINE :laugh: Black silverado SS with 2 RM's in the back or near it. Basically just look for a whole group of people in the back of the lot that are procratinating before they go ride and that will be all of us :cool: See ya then people

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Anyone know if Jason is gonna make this one. He still has my watch!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
sick 96 250 said:
you can also look for the baddest truck of them all, MINE :laugh:

:blah:

Gary - Dunno if Jason's going to make it or not!

brpray

Dec 5, 2004
Hi Guys, just to say that the pig has a leaky radiator and will not come out to play.
The KTM is getting closer as I read all the hipe about the Enduros KTM Lori and gang have had fun on.

Not having much luck with the Honda, maybe thats why it was in the corner of the showroom covered in dust.
Hope you all had fun and get home safe
maybe next time

Ray

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Ohhh man, the ride is this weekend!!!! I totally got screwed up and have not been around, belive it or not I went up for this ride last month, took me a few minutes to figure out why there were a bunch of jeeps in our spot :bang: . I just got in and it 11 PM on Friday night, but Ill be up in Hazelton tomorrow to ride, Ill try to make the morning or noon ride and give Mr Co his watch back :aj: . I'm staying the night at Bonners and mountain bike riding in Jim Thorpe On Sunday so Ill try to catch up with you guys at some point Saturday. Man I cant believe I screwed up my weekends, Oh well it should all work out in the end.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Well, the weather held out and we had (or at least I had hehe) an awesome weekend.

We rode fairly fast easy stuff and even were introduced to a not so secret, "secret" part of the park that in the many times I'd been there, did not know existed.

It was there that I managed (with some nudging from Jason) to get up the nerve to do some fairly steep and long hillclimbs and decents, and was re-introduced to a world of sand and it's many complexities. This area is like walking on another planet. Black sand as far as you could see. Very cool. I don't knwo what it did for my hillclimb confidence in general, but I certainly feel alot more confident with long smooth sandy hillclimbs now! ;)

The weather held out, and the groups I rode with (Nate, Matt, Mike , and a few others over the two days) did Doe run, which is rockier than I rememebered but a nice ride! We did the Hall road, which is nice and fast when going up hill, some single track that was very nice (as it was dry and very little of the stank mud) of course Valley road, which is not too bad, but becomeing more chllanging as the summer progresses I think. Overall, everything I saw was in great shape. If I could have changed anything, I would have wanted it to be a bit moister as the dust was a constant irratation in the back where I generally reside. LOL

Thanks again to everyone who made this ride another great one. Even you Nate. You were being very mean to me. :fft:

;)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Well I got up there around noon Sat. I dropped all my gear and looked for CO's watch. SOB if it was not in the van!!! I looked around but could not find it :pissed:. So I wondered in to Paragon, passed Bruce and SG on the coal road heading out for a newlywed ride and found the rest of the DYs in the parking lot nursing wounds, batterd bikes and sandwiches. I got sgned in and missed the PK ride but headed out with Nate, his bud , Dave RS, Tony, and Bruce I think with the newer KDX? after Nate and his bud changed the rear tire of the DRZ only to find an 8 penny nail sticking out of the tire as he re mounted it on the bike :bang: , good one guys! amazing enough it did not puncture the new tube!!!!! The last one anyone had!!!! The 6 of us had a great noon session and hit a bit of everyting. Play area that was tons of fun and made for some photo ops, even though I forgot my camera :( . Trails, hills, and senic views. I guesse we may have been out for 2.5 hours or maybe a bit more before I said bye to the guys near Haul road and headed back to camp. Did some more riding with my buds and cooked up some awesome dinner. I started to set my bed up in the van and guese what I found? An 8 PENNY NAIL IN MY AIR MATTERESS! NAAAAAATE!!!!! No, just kidding. YUP, Garry's watch!!!! It was already after 9 but I grabbed a sweater, cleaned off the plate and lights on the WR and ripped over to Red Ridge to deliver it. It was nice to pop in and see everyone for about an hour and take part in the campfire fun. And what a fire it was! fearing a wood shortage PK purchaced proliffic portions of piro product. He piled it on so high he nearly singed the contrials out of the sky! And poor CR-Dave was really hurting, you could really see the swelling starting to set in his forarm. I cant belive he went out for another ride! We should have locked his bike to a tree! Of corse with his prior history of tree assult well established that day It probably wood knot have stumped him!!!! Ohhhhh bada bing! I cant wait to see the crash footage from the helmet cam!!!!! I had to scoot since there is supposed to be no riding after 11 in the camp ground. The WR is no stelth ship and they have been cracking down latley. I got about 3 miles down the dark back road from Red Ridge before the bike just shut off! Great! I messed with the switch group as I have had trouble with it when it gets wet, but it was not wet. I was still on the main fuel and I knew it was getting down there so I went to reserve even though the way the bike shut off it did not seem like it ran out of fuel. A few kicks and not even sputter. Opened the tank and looked in with the flash light and the left side was bone dry!!!!!! The gasket in the fuel switch must be leaking between the main and res tanks!!!!! :bang: . Good thing I have a Clarke 3.3 gal tank and never relocated the petcock to the low side! there was about 1/2 quart sitting in the lower left part of the tank! I tipped the bike over and gave it a kick and we were off. But I still had over 10 miles to go! I had to stop on 924 one more time and completly lay the bike down but I got the precious last drops of peto and made it to the first gas station. wheeew. I slinked back into camp at just about 11 PM just between the party patorls :aj:. I really would have loved to ride Sunday but I was comitted to leading a mountain bike ride in Jim Thorpe and had a great time but DYDRN rides are to fun and to rare to miss a minute of. Untill next time! Keep the rubber side down, unless your doing a backflip,,, on purpose....

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
What a great weekend!!! Rooster and I rode mostly by ourselves on Saturday, with the exception of our ride Saturday afternoon with dklink and Emily! It was great riding with another female at my level!!! We had a blast on Valley Road and the single track where Dave had his tree hugging incident, MAN THAT HAD TO HURT!!!

I FINALLY conquered Turtle Hill (going up!), that felt great! And I mean conquered it from the very bottom all the way to the trail head with the sign that says Turtle Hill. :) I also conquered the Valley Road descent, and I feel like I'm beginning to remedy myself of my fear of rocky downhills (except Turtle, which Rooster has re-named Snail Hill because it took me about an hour to get down it, and a nice egg size lump/purplishblue bruise on my hip).

Rooster also said I'm doing great and really keeping up to his "Sam's Pace" in the single track, so that's great!

All in all, I was totally exhausted Saturday night, we rode about 40 miles in one day, which I've been told is ALOT for one day at Paragon, but it was well worth it because I had a blast!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Nice Squeeky! I thought you had conquered Turtle up and down before. I rememeber not long ago doing it myself. You're right. It's a great feeling! Especially when you do it regardless of Nate or someone else stopping at the 3/4 point, and managing to get around them and not wipe out! ;)

We also did about 40 miles on Saturday, and another 20 odd miles or so Sunday morning. I am a bit sore, but in a good way (Besides a slight case of monkey butt of course! :) )

When is the next DYDR???????

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
DaveRS575 said:
Oh yeah! I forgot there were h3elmet cams there this weekend!~ I'd love to see the footage of the tree hug incident!
I guess I'm lucky that 2 of the helmet cams were on my last ride where i seemed to tip over every other 10ft :bang: . Should be some interesting footage of me dumping my bike every 10 sec and cussing up a storm. I had a great time besides that, i think I got a lil dehydrated or something because i just did not have the energy to fight the bike anymore if I started to get off balance and i would just let it drop. Some of the real hard areas with nice 3ft drop off into friggin boulders i seemed to manage but when it came to easier terrain but higher paced stuff is where it wore me out the most towards the end. Besides dropping my bike so much it was a great time, and the wierd thing is there is not one dent or any new markings on my RM after this weekend. I figured bent pipe, broken/bent levers or something would had to of happened from the beating the ol RM took but nothing. To top off the last ride of the day with PK and everyone i ran out of gas right before the entrance to the parking lot was, those last 2hrs were just not for me i guess. I know now I def need a flywheel weight to tame the power a lil on my bike, i think that was some of my problem as well but oh well. Whens the next ride guys????? :ride:

I want to do that huge hill again we hit towards the end where i had most of my problems, i know I can do that but apparently someone had other plans for me at the time :laugh:

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
It was great to finally meet and ride with you guys. Emily and I had a great time. We rode most of the day by ourselves except for the ride with Roster, Squeaky and Dave. She was stoked to ride with another female rider with the same bike! She didn’t stop talking about how good of a time she had the whole way home (even after the header she took on that last ride). I hope Dave’s hand is feeling better. I can’t believe he went out again on that same single track, but at least he got that tree as good as it got him.

I can’t wait for the next ride! We will definitely be camping.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I just went and looked over the sag on my rear suspenion and it was off by 20+mm from the lowest recommended, I adjusted to specs and it already feels better to sit on. A little softer and just more comfortable. Hopefully that will cure my problems with shooting in every direction on the trails this time around, if not, oh well i guess I just suck :bang: My air filter was seriously nasty as well, i'm guess that helped with my plug fouling throughout the day also.

bneide

Jun 22, 2005
Had a great time Saturday. Enjoyed riding with Dave, Mike, Nate, Matt and Jason. Really enjoyed the new area Jason showed us in the afternoon. My lasting impressions were of Nate and Matt changing a tube in Matt's rear tire only to realize they left a nail in the tire and Mike and his enthusiasm for hillclimbs. Would ride with any of you guys again. By the way, Ray I missed you and Phil this weekend. Take care everyone until next time.

Bruce

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
bneide said:
Had a great time Saturday. Enjoyed riding with Dave, Mike, Nate, Matt and Jason. Really enjoyed the new area Jason showed us in the afternoon. My lasting impressions were of Nate and Matt changing a tube in Matt's rear tire only to realize they left a nail in the tire and Mike and his enthusiasm for hillclimbs. Would ride with any of you guys again. By the way, Ray I missed you and Phil this weekend. Take care everyone until next time.

Bruce

Good to meet you too Bruce! Yeah. Mike is a little nutty about those hillclimbs! hehehe

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man that was a great ride!! Dusty but great. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see all of you but it sounds like all had a good time. Even though my throttle stuck wide open a couple of times I still had a good time.

Top Bottom