Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Anyone had any luck dying their plastic? I'm trying to get the white part of my headlight to match the black plastic on the rest of my bike. I remember seeing someone use dye to make white plastic parts black (not off a dirt bike) but don't remember what product they used. Any ideas? Anyone know where I could just buy the piece I need in black? It's the top half of the headlight assembly off a '98XR400. Thanks

Jeremy

Jake McKernan

Oct 6, 1999
Don't know if this would work or not on bike plastics, but I have used RIT dye successfully to dye some clear plastic for a model. The dye gets dissolved in water, and then heated while the part is soaked (my parts were small enough to fit in the microwave, don't tell my wife!). It took about an hour of heating/soaking to get the parts tinted. Be careful not to overheat, as the plastic may deform. Hope this helps.

Jake

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
All I could find there were paints designed for plastic. They want you to buy 3 different products that are $8 each! Seems a little steep........

Jeremy

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Try Mar-Hyde. It's an automotive interior/vinyl paint that the pros use. It's available in spray cans.

You'll need to clean the part thoroughly and wipe it down with alcohol--before you attempt to spray. It may not last, but it's your only option. You may want to apply some PPG Polypropylene primer first. Check with your local automotive paint supplier. He'll be happy to recommend stuff to you.

Come to think of it, he prolly won't be so happy. The paint guys around here are all surly bastids.

Top Bottom