Dyno charts??? What do you feel???

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
There has been several posts as of late on dyno charts. The overall idea appears to be ignore them. They dont mean much. Cool...

My question is this. If your on a motorcycle and open up the throttle...the force you feel, is it "torque" or "horsepower"?

I know there is a difference between my friends Fat Boy and my YZ 250 even though both have almost the same peak hp, but it is difficult to describe. I hope someone can make me understand this better. Maybe there is a better way to look at a dyno chart? Thanks!!!

B

biglou

I've always heard that horsepower=top speed and torque=acceleration.

For me, that torque curve is at least as important as the HP.  I am fairy certain that the "pull" you feel during acceleration is the torque.  A steep initial torque curve will give you a nice "snap" or "hit", where a more linear curve (ha! there's an oxymoron for ya!) will give a flat, or "electric motor" feel.

Just going on what I know (or think I know) here.  I'd like to see some validation of this to see if I am correct.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If your on a motorcycle and open up the throttle...the force you feel, is it "torque" or "horsepower"?

You are feeling torque. Horsepower is the engine's ability to maintain torque as the RPMs increase. HP is a function of TQ. The same peak TQ number at a higher RPM will produce more HP.

I know there is a difference between my friends Fat Boy and my YZ 250 even though both have almost the same peak hp, but it is difficult to describe.

Either you have one SERIOUS YZ250 or your pal has a real sick Fat Boy. Stock HDs usually make about 60 HP at the rear wheel. That 's about 70 HP at the crank (advertised.) I'm pretty new to dirtbikes, but I didn't think a 250 made that kinda power.

Think about this: The Fat Boy probably weighs 3 times what your YZ weighs! What you have in your favor is a big RPM band. A Harley runs out of breath at 5500. I 'spose your 250 is good to about twice that number. Those RPMs are converted by gear reduction to lots more speed and fun than a Fat Boy could ever hope to produce! :thumb:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I know I exaggerated the hp of my YZ vs Fat Boy. Honestly though, have you ridden a new Harley? If it were my money, I would be pissed. I figure my YZ is about 40-45 hp. In reality, I dont thing the Harley could be much over 50. I also leak a lot less oil. I leak fork oil which is easier to clean up!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Honestly though, have you ridden a new Harley? If it were my money, I would be pissed.

I've been up to my eyeballs in Harleys for the last 4 years.... tell me about it! But ya gotta keep in mind that 90% of Harley owners aren't *really* concerned with performance, or they wouldn't buy a Harley in the first place. Every Harely you see on the street with drag pipes has NO low end power. But the owner couldn't care less. It sure sounds fast! Just take a look at any HD marketing material. It's all about image. I could gripe on this topic for hours...

But at least give the MoCo some credit, their bikes are very reliable and hold their oil now a days. PLUS you can buy your cat very kewl HD branded toys! :eek:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
OK once agin I ask this question. . . Why does every one hate harley's I LOVE UM'! Also outta all the people I no with harley(quite a few, my dad included) take very good care of them, they dont leak oil ( much to what you all think :| ) and they are FAST! My uncel's Soft tail (doh!) puts out as much HP as my moms car! Around 125 HP so dont say they dont make any power. And my dad's bike puts out 85Hp and thats stock motor dynoed at his friends shop. So unless you have owend one dont say anything bad about um :debil: . . . OR better yet this is a DIRTBIKE site dont talk about um at all :think:

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
DoOd....... I own two Sportsters. As I said, I've spent the last 4 years up to my eyeballs in Harleys. I'd be awfully interested to hear some details about this 125 HP Sportster. :p

Last edited:

Steve_R6

Feb 20, 2002
I too would like to see some proof of this 125 horse sportster. I see lots of Hardley's around here with their dragpipes thinking they're all fast, they're usually in my rearview mirror though. hehe. ;) Long live the crotch rocket. :) Price to fun they can't be beat. My R6 puts down 100-108 at the rear wheel STOCK and it's only a 600.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
OMG OMG!!! I said sportster AHHH *smacking my head aginst the wall* I meant sprinnger. . . AHHHH. Its 1994 soft tail springe. How did I mess that one up so bad! And yes the motor has every mod possible Its getin NOS this winter :p. Not a thing was spared in making this bike the paint alone costed $5,000 the pictures dont do it ANY justice! :worship:

Last edited:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Wait I think I can now post pictures.

Attachments

• smoov #2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 231

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Yes, yes I can heres one more if any one wants any more Just tell me I've got a bunch. . .

Attachments

• smoov mama dragon 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 98
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…