E-Line Lighting coil with regulator/rectifier/battery

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Does anybody here have their YZ turned into a woods bike and run an E-line lighting coil?? I bought one for my 2006 last year and am currently running an Acerbis Blitz headlight with two 50W MR-16 bulbs. The problem is that at idle or low RPM's the lights dim to much!! It came with a regulator, but I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge of using a regulator/rectifier/battery and have the lights run off the battery to eliminate the dimming issue. I've contacted E-line, Baja Designs, and Trail Tech, but no one seems to know what will work with the E-Line coil. The E-Line coil has two separate 100W leads and one ground common to both.Trail Tech says their rectifier needs a "floated ground" and their not sure if it will work with the E-Line coil....ANYBODY???

Night rides are comming up soon, and slow riding would be better if i could see where I'm going... :ride:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are you running both 50w bulbs off of a single 100w lead, or are you sending a 100w to each 50w bulb?

Not sure of the bulb selection for your light, but if you are running both 50's off of a single 100watt lead, it may be too much bulb. Lower wattage bulbs (say twin 35w or 40w) will give more light than the higher watt bullbs at lower rpm, but you will lose some light at higher rpm.

If you are running a seperate 100w lead to each of your two 50watt bulbs and they still don't have enough light at low rpm, you might try this: Put in a lower wattage bulb in one of the leads (say a 35 or 40 watt) and a higher wattage bulb in the other (maybe an 85 watt). At low rpm you should be getting full light from the 35 or 40 and a little light from the 85. At mid range and up you would be getting full power to both and be better off than with your twin 50's.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My 01 YZ 250 had a 200w eline system on it, and it was the same way. Low idle meant low light. I didn't find it to be too much of a problem since I learned to blip the throttle with the clutch pulled in as needed. Now I use a Niterider battery pack setup on my 05 YZ 250 which I like much more.

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Dirt Bike Dave,

I am running one 50Watt bulb on separate 100W leads. I was aware that it would be to close in wattage running both from one lead.

I will try your suggestion of a lower wattage bulb combined with higher one, although I've never seen an MR16 halogen bulb higher than 50W...but i'll look into it.

The solution I'm really looking for is the DC rectifier/battery setup which would give me a DC supply without any dimming whatsoever.

Just a quick question though Dave...why would the lower wattage bulb burn brighter than the higher wattage at low RPM's?? Have you experienced this yourself??

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I think the issue is that at low RPM's, it doesn't matter what type of bulb you have, the bulbs are always going to run dimmer without another power source (battery) to keep up the voltage/amperage when the stator can't.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
When I had an eline on my CRE250, I ran an 85w single bulb, and had the other 100w lead to grip warmers and a tail light. Did not do much night riding with that setup though. Most people really seem to prefer a battery powered helmet light, though.

On my previous dual sport bikes (KDX200 and KDX250) I had Baja kits but no rewound stators. I would remove the battery when trail riding. It seemed like when I ran my 50 watt DOT headlight and bulb, I got less light at low rpm than the stock KDX 30 or 35 watt bulb. Honestly, did very little night riding with either setup, and my perception was mainly based on daylight riding in the woods.

Top Bottom