Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
2004EXC250...
I assume most are using a carbon fiber pipe guard, probably the e-line, on their 2 strokes.
Do they offer enough protection? I have never used them, always stuck with the Moose aluminum guard.
Are the carbon fiber ones worth the $$?

Who's got the best price?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have the eLine on my '04 200 EXC, and like it a lot. I did lay the bike down in a rock garden on Drummond Island, and while there is a 2" diameter scuff mark on the guard, it completely protected the pipe. This was the part of the pipe that bulges out, so I'm sure it would have crushed it like tin foil had it not been for the guard.

Keep in mind that instead of your pipe getting crushed, the protection afforded by the guard transfers the force/impact to other parts of the bike, like the exhaust flange, which may be more costly to fix than a dented pipe.

I got mine from Enduro Engineering.

I didn't want the weight of a metal guard (or the looks), so went with the carbon fiber. It has held up very well. Now as far as a skid plate, it's aluminum all the way (Moose - fits/protects awesome). I've seen CF skid plates that were just shredded.

Last edited:

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
i've used these C/F guards, by "E-line", for 6 years, on Gassers, and i sell them for all brands, as well. i'm totally sold on them as the best in protection; from dealing with the "occasional" hidden stump, to the rocks of the black hills. they "take a lickin", and they've kept me out of the pipe repair shop, ever since i've started using them (used to visit the pipe doctor several times a year!!)
i can't recall any customer/friend of mine, who uses this guard, ever saying they were less than very impressed with the value, quality,etc...i have seen the "shredded" skid plates; it's a tough job!! FYI, there's a cheap plastic guard from Maier that works well as a skid plate- it's virtue seems to be it's abilty to "slide" off rocks,...instead of aluminum's "gouging" problem; sort of reminds me of a "plastic" canoe's advantage over aluminum's in a shallow rocky river./ jack

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I highly recommend the eline for anyone that goes in the woods. they will protect your pipe from lots of dents. You can smush the pipe up further into the frame with them but that will be after a few years of climbing over big rocks and logs. Once you get a pipe guard you will think that your pipe is indistructable(as I did) and you will be tempted to put it through the most rigorous hell. Just to give you a figure of the rides, I ruined a brand new fmf fatty in a weekend. Bought another and installed a pipe guard and ran that pipe for about two years every weekend through some more hell and finally pushed the pipe into the water pump. That was after 2 years of using it as a side stand. i wasnt too scared to use it as a skid plate if I could. If your in the woods a pipe guard will be as big of a necessity as your bark busters. If you get one you wont go without one. Or if you go without after youve had one youll know whos not that bright. :cool: :cool:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I'll never ride without an E-line guard again. I think that evryone who has one will say the same thing. Unsurpassed pipe protection, with good looks and light weight. I got mine at MXdeals.com(I think) for right around $100.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Wolf said:
2004EXC250...
I assume most are using a carbon fiber pipe guard, probably the e-line, on their 2 strokes.
Do they offer enough protection? I have never used them, always stuck with the Moose aluminum guard.
Are the carbon fiber ones worth the $$?

Yes, they offer pretty good protection.Some say its too good for the '04-'05 250/300 models,but thats debatable.

The 04-05 250/300 has an exhaust flange that can crack on hard impacts.Some claim that the E-line guard doesn't let the pipe crumple up and causes the impact to be absorbed at the exhaust flange.A few have had good luck having the exhaust flange welded at the crack.If you can't/don't get it welded you have to purchase the whole cylinder because the power valve bearing surface is machined into the exhaust flange.

I have put the E-line on my '05, so I guess only time will tell.

P.S. Im not trying to debate whether or not the E-line helps on these particular models,Im just passing this along to WOLF so he can draw his own conclusion, or atleast be aware of it. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom