creator8

Jul 22, 2000
After reading all the posts about wheel spacer and bearing failures and also seeing my buddy grenade a rear hub as a result of the same, I purchased a kit for spacers and bearings from e-rider. I just took a look at the bearings and its says they are made in China. Anyone have any info on Chinese bearings. I'm personally not aware that the Chinese are famous for their high quality bearings and am somewhat wary about using them. Anyone have any info on this?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My local brg house will give me chinese brgs unless I specify us/euro.
Higher profit margin I believe.
While I have never had problems with a Chinese/Pakistani/Pacific rim brg, I still specify Fag, Fafnir, Consolidated, domestic or Euro sourced brgs.
This is a prejudice of mine, that is without substance. I too had the question when I saw the source and have learned to ask specifically for what I want.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Can you imagine the high level of pride and workmanship comming from a communist chinese bearing factory? Not to mention the high attention to detail and passion for tight tolerances. :(

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
personally i try to purchase all my bearings and seals from the local bearing shops,they last just as long as OEM but you must remove the seal from one side of a sealed bearing and check the grease ,i purchased 2 identical sealed bearing at the same time ,remove the seal and noticed that one was full of grease and the the other nearly empty.
as for wheel bearings ,i found that if you insert a grease zert in the wheel hub and remove the inner seal on the bearing they last much longer,after each washing pump a few strokes of grease ,it flushes out the dirt ,make sure to wipe off the excessive grease that comes out of the dust seal,no need to pick up anymore dirt or sand

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
i sent an email to e rider raising the issue. in brief, it was explained to me that nowadays the reason for cost differences between european/domestic and chinese bearings is labor and utility costs. supposedly tolerances are not an issue because of cnc machining and materials are the same. i won't post the email since it was very long and technical but i am satisfied enough to give them a try. e rider uses their own products and have tested these bearings extensively. i will check the grease in them beforehand though. you'll be hearing it first here if they fail.

Top Bottom