gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
ok, it's liike 5 in the moring, and i made my coffee, and looked out the back sliding door at the stars. the moon is out, but their is this "one star" that has all these colors. :eek: and it is shimmering pretty good. i found a plane going by, and it didn't shine like that. It hasn't moved in about a half an hour either. oh yeah, no, theirs nothing in my coffee either. ;) it's off to the west.......
any clues?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Saturn is visible in the western sky during the morning now. Usually a planet will not shimmer like a star, but when it is low in the horizon, the light can appear to shimmer as it is coming though lots of atmospere casuing the effect.

If Saturn is what you saw, it will be very very low and eventually disappear at about 7-8 am.

Tonight just after dark you can see Venus in the low SW-WSW sky until about 7:30pm or so.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My kids and I were looking at (what Jaybird described as) Venus this week. I knew it wasn't a star because it was just too bright.

Later I was getting out of the shower and my wife said, 'Hey, I can see Uranus.'

(Sorry.... had to do it.) :)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
LOL! :) So obvious, yet still I did not see that coming!

Gnarlykaw, I have also seen the shiny sparkly ones and its quite mesmerizing. I don't know my astronomy that well, so I usually figure its some form of UFO ;). They're kind of cool!

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I had a feeling it was most likely a planet, but not sure what one. Nat, U R right, i sat there, and stared at it for like 5 minutes. I couldn't make up my mind what it was.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
when the halle-bopp comet came over, we were camping at the dunes. that area is about as barren as it gets and the sky is just crystal clear. we had a few 16-17 year-olds riding with us. i made them get up at 5:00 a.m. to look at it. they were pissed. hopefully, someday they'll appreciate what they witnessed.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
http://skyandtelescope.com/

Check out the interactive sky chart. Takes a few to get used to it, but it is very accurate. Try clicking the time up or down to see the effect.

Top Bottom