Easy way to clean your silencer/spsrk arrestor

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I just got a 2000 ATK 250 a few weeks ago.
It's really loud, so before we abused the snow here in NEPA, I thought I repack the silencer.
When I got it apart, it had a ton of spooge and carbon in it.
I scrapped a pile of the loose spooge off, but the holes in the tube were blocked and the spark arrestor was loaded with carbon.
I tried oven cleaner, lacquer thinner, (my cure all!) wire brush, scrapping it, poking the holes with a wire.
I was losing the battle, it would have taken me all day just to make it 1/2 good.
Then it hit me like a branch across the goggles!
I took the inner tube and spark arrestor outside, and hit it with the torch!
You gotta becareful, I don't know if it was the thinner or spooge, but it flamed up nicely!
I heated everything to a slight orange glow and let it air cool, (didn't take long in 25 degrees!)
I tapped ,wired brushed, and slightly scrapping and it came really clean.
Repacked it and TA-DA! Nice quiet bike and it has more umph to boot!
The best part was I got to play with FIRE! How cool is that??!!
Joe
Sticks and stones may break my bones. That's why I only hit trees and rocks!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
That method always works for me. Interesting, I'll always pre-soak it in oven cleaner. I wonder if that is even necessary?

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Yeah, but the flame up was too cool!
Good thing it was outside, I guess we do get smarted with age!
15 years ago,I'd fired it up in the shop, then have that stupid look on my face as I explainedto fire department how I burnt down my work shop/house, and all I was able to save was my bike and riding gear!
Gotta use your head with fire!

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Been doing the torch thing for years. It's fast, not messy, and a propane torch is easily hot enough. :thumb:

Top Bottom