WOODSGUY

Sponsoring Member
Mar 20, 2000
I was wondering if anybody could tell me when the best time to eat before a two hour hare scramble is in order to make use of the energy given by the food. I usually eat about an hour before a race, nothing heavy, a sandwich and a banana. Am I off base or what? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I'd think on the line's of a day or 2 before the race. Load up on your carbs, I think it will have more affect than the food you just ingested 2 hours prior to racing...

------------------
'91 RM 250

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
I was doing some reading on this a while back, the info I found said to "carbo load" a couple of days before the race...on the morning of the race DO NOT eat a bunch of carbo's, eat light - 50% protein %50 carb's.

I generally eat a PB&J on Wheat :D and WATER lots of WATER ;)

------------------
Chris
'00 CR250
'95 KDX200
'99 CR80
'99 Buell X1
'97 HD Sportster

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I do know that if you eat heavy foods on race day, your body will use too much energy digesting them so you'll get tires quicker.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I race MX... and I will usually eat a Gatorade power bar or granola bar or one of those tiny bags of pretzels or chips before practice in the morning - and drink lots of water.

Then I will eat a lunch in between the 1st and 2nd moto - usually something light (like 1 hot dog or 1 sandwich or 1 burger or individual mac-n-cheese or just snack on some chips, pretzels, crackers, or fruit).

I drink water all day long - and slam down water followed by gatorade after practice and especially after each moto.

Then my boyfriend and I have a tendancy to pig out on the way home from the races... :confused:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I NEVER et before riding. Last time I did, my body got so tired while digesting the food, that I had trouble riding. I just drink ALOT while riding. Also, when I eat then ride, my stomach hurts and then I get the dreaded kind of excriment(I hope you know what I mean:eek: :confused: ).

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
Here is what I do: (Keep in mind I am 6'5 250lbs)
I try to eat lots of just plain angel hair posta and wash that down with gatoraid about 2 hours before the race. Then after walking the track I eat 1-2 granola bars and wash it down w/ gatoraid. Then after the first moto I try to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch. All thoes foods seem to sit well in my stomach, Maby not yours. This is a lot but keep in mind all the work you are doing. My only advice is to not drink any coke or somthing with caffine in it. Caffine will lower the ammount of oxygen in your blood and your mussels will get sore much, much quicker. Just drink some sort of sports drink and the important thing is to always just snack on things dont sit down and eat a full 5 corse meal before the race. If I sit down and eat I become tired and I just dont feel as ready to go. Just what I do and it works very well for me.

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
I don't race hare scrambles but maybe during the race if you feel a lack of energy, keep one of those packets of protein handy (I think they are called "goo" or something like that)

N.H. Hick

Mar 10, 2001
try differnt things.

your own body prefrence is what you should be looking at. try both the carbo load the threee days before and the right before the race diet.

depending on your abillity to process the carbs you would have to try each diet. but allways after a hard workout eat a POOPHY load of protien. protien takes fat that was just worked and turns it into instant mucle. the best thing for after a workout is amino acids(protiens). you can get them in pill form. the pills are usaly at your local vitamin dealer.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Fat is a energy store, it is not used in the production of muscle mass. Protien on the other hand is.....

Top Bottom