76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
What kind of life does everybody see with the EBC red/ceramic pads? I've got about 4-5 rides on my fronts and am about half-way through them. I'm kind of supprised by how quickly they are wearing.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Yeesh, these pads are wearing faster than the tires. I rode the bike for an hour today, the pads are dissapearing fast. They perform so well, though.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I have the same pads on my KDX, and have had them on there over a year now. Bike hasn't seen much mud in the last year, so they are wearing fine for me.

Are your rotors chewed up? Is something mis-aligned and causing dragging? Have you cleaned the brakes with any harsh chemicals that could attack the bonding agent of the pads?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Rotor is straight and smooth, no mud, the pad retaining pin was replaced with the pads, the caliper pins and caliper are in good condition. The wear is even, it's just really fast. I think I might only get 3 more rides or so out of these pads. I put them in maybe 2 months ago. I don't ride that much. I usually clean with a little Dawn dish soap on a scrub brush and water (no pressure wash).

phatford92

Jun 9, 2007
yah i also have the same brakes all around and mine have not really worn down to much and ive put alot of riding time in on the bike and i agree they do work really well

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i know on snowmobiles you're supposed to break in the pads to get more time out of them. on the sleds your supposed to just build up a bit of momentum then hit the brakes really hard to warm the pads up. once they are hot, you let them cool.

its prolly not the same on bikes tho.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I can see pad break-in making the difference between the pads lasting 45 hours instead 50 hours, but it seems like these pads are only going to go 15-20 hours tops. I'd run sintered metal pads for longer life, but I don't like the grabbyness.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Do you have any suggestions for other pads? I like a nice smooth and linear braking response from my effort on the lever. I don't like a hard initial bite, that makes riding in the slick stuff tricky. I really like the feel and performance of these pads, except that they are a tiny bit soft while cold. But, the wear rate is almost unacceptable.

Top Bottom