kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I had an interesting night last night. Went to lube my clutch cable, the lever pivot bolt was stripped and had to cut it to get it out. Went to change my grips, contact cleaner and safety wire have mysteriously dissapeared. Went to change my rear brake pads and I couldn't get the outside stock pad out without taking the wheel off. Went to install EBC 152x pads and the slots for the pins are just a bit small and I'd have to pound them in and figured they wouldn't slide very well that way. Anybody else have that problem?

Called it a night and went to bed without going to the bathroom, cause I was afraid "it" might fall off.

Just thought I'd share,
Brent
2003KDX200 with spare clutch perch, no grips and just a bit of rear brake left

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I also had a struggle getting my EBC pads on. Once they were on, they fit like a glove. Your stock pads must not have lasted long having a 2003. When I bought my bike it still had the original pads on it. I then went through almost a whole year of hard braking before they wore out. The bike is a 97. The ebc's seem to be wearing much faster, but I like the feel of the brakes better with them. Anyone have similar experiences?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Brent…ah the joys of maintenance, great post. :)

I had the same problem with EBCs and the pin slots. (‘01 KX250) It will cause the brakes to drag if you don’t correct it. Even after I corrected it, the pads wore very fast. CC, I didn’t notice much difference in feel though.

The stock pads lasted much longer and I’ve since replaced the EBCs with stock Honda pads, which are the best in the biz IMO. :thumb:

Last edited:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by KAY DEE EXER
do they make the honda ones to fit a 98 kdx200????
thanx in advance.....
Only for the front of your KDX.....95-01 CR 125 or 250.

For the back it's stock Kawi, Yami 90-97 YZ 125 or ZUKs 89-95 RM250. Not quite the same as Honda pads, but it gives you some options other than EBC.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I just put new pads on my 02 kdx, just in time. Anyway, I got the EBC sintered pads. They went on with out a hitch and feel fine. One the h/s course's I go to has a lot of sand mixed in the dirt, and eats up the pads pretty quick.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
What a difference a day makes. New grips, clutch pull like butter, and enough rear brake to make it through some slop this Sunday.

Thanks for the replies.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by bscottr

Only for the front of your KDX.....95-01 CR 125 or 250.

For the back it's stock Kawi, Yami 90-97 YZ 125 or ZUKs 89-95 RM250. Not quite the same as Honda pads, but it gives you some options other than EBC.

thanks for that info. i need to pickup pads. glad i didnt go with EBC. :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The pins tend to corrode. Was that the fit issue?

Chances are pretty good that at pad change time, the pins will need a bit of attention, too. If you have divots out of 'em, they should be changed.

Use never seize when you put the pins back in. They tend to get a bit hot. (Gee...'ya think?)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by canyncarvr
The pins tend to corrode. Was that the fit issue?
I installed mine with new pin. It seemed either the pin was slightly oversized or (more likely) the holes in the pads were slightly undersized. I opened the hole a little with a drill bit and it was fine.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
The pins were scotchbrited and antisiezed. I ended up opening up the slots on the pad with a (1/4" I think) drill. It may have just been the thickness of the black paint, but I guess Quality Control was off that day. Can't imagine how bitched up I would have been if I had to change them during a race.

keetkdx220

Feb 24, 2001
I've never had any problem w/the EBC brand brakes...except when i bought the kevler ones. they tend not to survive muddy rides/sand long. Anyways i pefer braking brakes the cermic ones.

CHICKEN WRIST RACING
RIDE HARD, RIDE FAST, BREAK LATE

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I know it's not exactly a KDX, but i had similar experiences with EBC.
New shoes replaced on a XL500R and was a &!#$# getting 'em on there, but once on they have a much better feel to them than the Honda shoes.
Stronger and more progressive in feel.
As for life expentency it's only been a couple of months.

Top Bottom