Edelbrock Qwiksilver Pumper carb for XR650R

bhoth

Dec 16, 2000
Just received an Edelbrock Qwiksilver Pumper series carb and
installed it on Saterday. The complete swap took a couple hours. The carb is very nice looking and very well built.

I didn't get a chance to take it out for a good ride to really see
what kind of a difference it makes, just up and down the street.
Seat of the pants opinion, no off idle hesitation like the stock carb
and better midrange.

The folks at Edelbrock are nice guys and when I called them up with questions, they where always happy to help.

Brian

Last edited:

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Good luck. I've read several places that the Quicksilver carbs don't quite cut it. In other words, they found it impossible to get jetted and dialed in to run good.

I've got a 36mm Mikuni pumper carb coming in late this week for my XR400. I'm hoping it's at least half as good as what people say. I purchased mine from XR's Only. I think they have a Mikuni for your 650, and maybe even a new Keihin pumper also. Good luck with your Quicksilver, I hope it works well for you. Enjoy your sweet 650.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I'm curious to see how well the Edelbrock carb does. I've heard of people not really liking them on their XR400s. However, that wasn't the Quiksilver pumper carb, so it may work out in the case of your 650.

bhoth

Dec 16, 2000
Everything I have read about people having a tough time getting it to work is with the older non-pumper series.

There is a guy that is racing a TRX 400 four wheeler with an XR650R motor stuffed in it and he is running with the new pumper series carb and I think he is 3rd in his class in best of the desert series.

I am assuming that he would not be using the carb if he was not happy with it.

The guy that did the whole XR400 story that trashed the qwiksilver so bad had tried an old non-pumper carb. Even Edelbrock admits that it wasn't the best carb but they claim this new one is really good.

They can't make them fast enough for the TRX400 croud.

It started on the third kick after installing so I already know its close. Now if I can just get some time to ride!

Brian

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Cool,
I was unaware of the "older" version you speak of. My mistake. Again, enjoy your 'new' 650 motor! I hope she screams bloody murder for you. Good luck.

bhoth

Dec 16, 2000
Just got some pictures during the install of the Qwiksilver pumper carb up on my website.

You can check it out at www.xr650r.net

Top Bottom