Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
meeting people from all different walks of life. Social skills.
Travel. learning about different cultures. and Different parts of the country.
Finding out how people should be.
It's not much, but it's a start

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I don't know what age he is, or where you're from, if he's a high schooler take him to OSU for a quick college visit, most schools consider them excused.

If he's elementary age I'd investigate the studying of Native American Culture. Oklahoma is rich in heritage in that area. Very easy to find somewhere to stop at and give him some exposure.

I personally would stay away from "it's a great motorcycle ride with lots of great people" I would also get his work in advance and have him turn it in before he leaves if possible.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
He's having a cultural visit from his uncle ( me for the sake of names ) on an archeological dig in Oklahoma. Believe me when I crash I will be moving dirt that hasn't moved in a 1000 years ! :laugh:

Edit here - Okay he is going to visit relatives from another country that are in for a week visiting other relatives in Oklahoma. Please provide me with all the course work he will miss for that week ( at least one week in advance ) so that he can proceed with his education according to the PLAN the school has&nbsp;laid out for the year.

My wife recommends - There has been a death in the family, out of state and we will not be here for the next week. - Simple straight forward and will not create a problem. Just means catch up afterwards unless they can get you the course work quickly.

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Coming from PA:

You are planning on traveling the entire length of the Ohio River from the&nbsp;confluence of the Mongahela and the Allegheny to Cairo, IL.&nbsp; From there you plan on following the Mississippi downstream. The plan is to head all the way down to the point where the Arkansas dumps into the Mississippi and then follow the Arkansas back upriver to the Tulsa area and beyond. Understandably, you may run short of time and, in that case, you will have to take a short cut to Tulsa to complete your itinerary and keep the lesson plan on schedule.&nbsp; You hope for Jared to gain an understanding of how these rivers influenced the development of industry and agriculture along their routes.

While in Oklahoma, you hope to also have an opportunity to learn about the Cherokee tribe and the Trail of Tears which stretched from North Carolina to Oklahoma.

Now of course, he is really going to have to learn some stuff to satisfy the school.

I would recommend you head to the library, get some books and tell Jared to read quietly and no whining during the road trip. ;)

http://www.cherokee.org

http://www.1upinfo.com/encyclopedia/O/OhioRiv-history.html

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BTW justql is a principal so if your looking for what may or may not fly from the front office at school he'll have the inside line.

Lot's of good suggestions on things to study along the way and even when you arrive. There will also be lots of folks he could interview and create a report on his travels, maybe even get extra credit. I'd also strongly suggest getting the school assignemnts before you leave because there will be plenty of down time to knock them out on the trip, plus spending an hour or so twice a day doing school work might get him squared away pretty quick. let's not also forget there may be a pretty wide selection of tutors available on many different subjects.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by MrMXer327
Jared's school is asking what the educational Itineray is for this educational trip.&nbsp; Anyone have any ideas on what I should say?

He'll be learning a ton on vehicle repair, especially roadside service! :laugh:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I kept it simple this year and last, I told the truth.
Here is what I said;
Please be advised that "Tigger" will not be in attendance at school from 9-29-03 thru 10-3-03.
The two of us will be attending a weeklong gathering filled with real life experiences. Though not entirely academic in nature, "Tigger" will develop skills in interaction with people from all accross the world as well attend seminars to learn advanced athletic skills. Time will be sat aside each day for schoolwork, I trust you will allow "Tigger" to bring it with her.
Please feel free to contact me for any additional information or questions.
Thank you in advance,
blah blah blah

It seemed to work, I met all her teachers at open house last week and all mentioned that they got the note and would be more than happy to assist in any way. Sending the work would be no problem.

I said pretty much the same thing last year and I had some of the teachers tell me, after the fact, that anytime a student gets the chance to do something like this the real shame is not allowing the student to experience it. Though it will not be an excused absense, the time away last year didn't hurt at all. In fact the work they sent with her last year, most of it the class hadn't gotten to when she returned to school. Several of her teachers gave her extra credit for doing it in advance. The only downside is she is only allowed to miss so many days of school in 6 weeks before the truient officer comes to pay a visit. Just have to make sure those are the only days she misses in that report period which fortunantly has never been a problem for us.

I must add, make dang sure the work sent is completed and turned in the 1st day back. I did have a couple of teachers comment last year that they were impressed that she actually did her work. They said that the majority of students that ask for advance work never turn it in and that's why missing school is frowned upon.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
justgl has the right idea. My wife works in education aswell and the investigation of oklahoma and it's native american heritage is the ticket. The cowboy hall of fame is in OKC just off I-35. It would be an excellant stop.

Another idea is to tell his teachers he will be writing a report on the trip. This will communicate to his teachers that he serious about it being a learning experience and not just a few play days out of school.

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Thanks for all of the info folks..... I have already asked for any school work Jared will miss and informed him that he must have the school work assigned completed before he can sling a leg over his ride. My mother in-law is a native american, so maybe a little report on that would be inline. Oh... I am sure he will get a thrill out of crossing the rivers along the way. He is 7 and has not seen a river yet.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Geography! Geology!&nbsp; Beginning map reading!&nbsp; Get a second atlas and have him follow your route using a highlighter.&nbsp;&nbsp; Talk about the land features and types of soil/rock you see along the way.&nbsp; Trees and plant life change as well.&nbsp; What plants and animals&nbsp;are different in&nbsp;Oklahoma&nbsp;compared to Pennsylvania?&nbsp; Which ones are similar?&nbsp;

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by oldguy
Try to make time to stop at the Gateway Arch in StLouis. The view from the top is nice but under it there is a great museum about the opening of the west.

You can't be claustrophobic if you visit the arch. The ride up on those "eggs" had my buddy freaking out. The top is awesome(sways in air and everything!). You have to lean over to look out. Definately worth the 7 bucks or whatever it is now to go up.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I had the opportunity to stay in St Louis last weekend, and I have to say if you ever get the chance to go--go to Des Moines, Iowa or anywhere but St Louis :silly:

I ended up basically holed up in the hotel the whole time. What a poop hole! :uh:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by jaction125
I ended up basically holed up in the hotel the whole time. What a poop hole! :uh:

&nbsp;And this coming from a guy who lives in&nbsp;Joliet--&nbsp;who would definitely&nbsp;know a poop-hole when&nbsp;he saw&nbsp;one!! :scream:

(When I lived in Illinois I knew a few people who lived in "Hole-iet", as we affectionately called it.&nbsp; Dave had to go down there for work many times, and was just as eager to get out again.&nbsp; )

St. Louis, yep, we'll be driving right through there on our way to DW.&nbsp; I must say, that will be a low point in the trip.&nbsp; Last time we were thru that area was on a 100 degree day in July a few years ago, in our truck with no A/C.&nbsp; It smelled bad down there, and looked worse.&nbsp; And E. St. Louis was on fire. (literally!)&nbsp;

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Humm... anyone been in the area just south of St. Louis? Sweet area.

Oh and Joliet? Gotta love the wonderful sulfur smell :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I know a real cool place to stay in St. Louis. Great hospitality, beautiful place, awesome owners, they even got a fitty track out back! :laugh:

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Lori- J-hole isn't that bad now, riverboat gambling has put a lot of improvements in place. (Maybe I'm just gettin used to it?) Brand new speedways and the like, pro baseball stadium, they even chased the crack dealers out of the downtown area!

Okie- I think the sulfur is from the many indigenous chemical refineries, sometimes they spew black spoogy stuff all over the area :thumb:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Check the times for the arch if you want to hit it. A couple years ago we went through STL around 5:00 am and stopped to look, but it didn't open till 9:00 or 10:00 and I wanted to be out of town before rush hour started.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Stole from www.explorestlouis.com

Gateway Arch - Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

Address: St. Louis Riverfront

City.State.Zip: St. Louis, MO 63102

Phone: (314)982-1410

Toll-Free: (877)982-1410

URL: www.gatewayarch.com
Hours: Open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Winter Hours (Labor Day - Memorial Day), 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Summer hours (Memorial Day - Labor Day), 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Hours subject to change.
At 630 feet, our nation's tallest manmade monument has plenty of exciting activities. Take the tram ride to the top, see a documentary film, view a giant screen movie on "Lewis & Clark," visit our museum or go shopping. Open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Winter Hours (Labor Day - Memorial Day), 9a.m. - 5p.m.; Summer Hours (Memorial Day - Labor Day), 9a.m. - 8p.m. (Hours subject to change). Buy advance tickets online or call (877) 982-1410.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by Okiewan
Humm... anyone been in the area just south of St. Louis? Sweet area.

Oh and Joliet? Gotta love the wonderful sulfur smell :)

"Just south of..." and "...right outside of" St. Louis don't count!&nbsp;

And Gary, IN gets my vote for smelliest city....Peeyew!! :uh:

I'm glad Joliet is on the upward track...guess a leopard can change his spots!

&nbsp;

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
We can see the Arch but not ride it considering we will be passing it late day. I almost got a good view of it from the bridge but all the strip club billboards kinda blocked the view. :)

Top Bottom