Effect of blocked vent tubes?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I did an awesome 2 day ride last weekend with around 30 guys. Amongst the adventures such as snow and wild animal (leach :)) attacks, were lots of water crossings. Not real deep, but nearly up to the seat at times. My bike was one of the few that tended to stall in the middle without me dropping it. Later I found my bike was prone to stalling just going over bumps or up hills... Then I noticed the carb was only overflowing thru the vent tubes when it was leaned down on one side, making me think one or more of the other tubes is blocked.

I haven't pulled the carb down yet, but I expect there will be water in the float bowl... Is it possible for water to get thru the vent tubes into the carb?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Bud, if the carby cannot vent, then fuel stop flowing into it. On the fourstrokes riders typically instal T vents. When the bottom vents are under water, the pressure can still be compensated by the top vents, which typically run under the seat.

How reliable has the Husky been ? I may be looking at the new 2002 model.

Regards
TR
:)

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
Also I have been stunned by when my gas tank tube that comes from the gas lid gets kinked in the handle bars. This will cause stuttering and cause the engine to die. Just another option to check and hope for.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Hmm, so it's not possible for anything to get into the carb thru the vent tubes?

TR, the husky has been great for me. This was the first time it's given any hint of a problem. And it was quite likely due to neglect on my part - my maintenance consists of changing the gear oil and air filter about once a month :). Btw, it has 6000+ k's of hard trail riding on it, still on the original piston/rings/spark plug.... well I had the change the spark plug last weekend :). I'm planning to get an 02 husky too, 4 stroke probably, pending a test ride.

Top Bottom