paper racer

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I have a 1991 yz250 which has a stock front spring of .381 kg/mm for a 120 lb. rider and rear spring of 5.0 kg/mm for a 170 lb. rider.  When I got the bike last fall it was fine but now that I am hitting bigger jumps I find that I am bottoming the suspension. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. Since I am not made of money I went on ebay and bought a new race tech fork spring .42 kg/mm for a 167 lb. rider and a never used shock spring off a 2002 kx250 which is 5.2kg/mm for a 197 lb. rider. I hope this will fix my bottoming out problem. I also have a problem with the front end washing out in sandy turns which I hope will be fixed with the stiffer springs. Are there any other things I should look for with the stiffer springs? Thanks.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
IMO those fork springs may be a little too soft for a rider of your weight and height. I would put them in and set the oil height to 100mm from the top. Set your compression clicker to 12 out. If you still bottom i would try going in a few clicks on compression. If this doesn't help you can raise your oil height slightly and consider adding a 3mm preload spacer to the top of each fork spring.

Top Bottom