Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
:yeehaw: It's done, got my top end back from Eric this weekend - actually I went and picked it up. All is installed, and I had the pleasure of riding a totally different bike. Yes, its still a KDX, thank goodness, but now its a 225. The few miles I rode this weekend were amazing. mo better porting seems to be a good fit for what I was looking for. Very luggabale, great mid, and top. mo better!
I haven't even begun to sort the jetting yet, but am looking for input from some of the 225 experienced folks.
What works for you?

BTW, Eric was a pleasure to do business with, he answered all my idiotic questions...the man is very patient:)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
My jetting didn't change that much after the mod. I'm running 152/42 cel-4.
I do have to run high octane though so listen for the pings at WOT.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Mac, high Octane pump I hope. That's what I want mine to run on. I have no intentions of switching to race gas...$$$$
My current set up, same as yours except for needle...DEL,
cel-4 = 2nd from top ot bottom? sorry I get confused...

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
cel-4 = 4 down from top (richer)

I also wanted to run pump but had a pinging problem. I checked for air leaks and played with jetting but the problem was fuel octane. I now mix 50/50 pump/race and run with a slight timing retard.

When I checked my cylinder pressure it measured 210psi, I dont suppose you checked yours?? I sure would be interested in knowing what your cylinder pressure measures.

I thought about sending the head and cylinder back to EG but after I got the jetting dialed I couldn't believe the snappiness and power the engine now made so I sucked it up and started running higher octane stuff.

Other members have the 225 mod and run on pump fuel with no problems but I don't know how their bike is setup.

Other mods I have that might influence jetting are:
FMF rev and TC2
DF2 reed cage
Modded air box
Maxima SuperM @ 40:1

Let us know how you like it.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Basically mine has the same mods as yours, my pipe is the PC.
My needle is DEL-2 (leaner) for now, but there is room for improvement.
I have nothing to measure my cylinder pressure with, sorry.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I have the kit and love it. I also have to run a 50\50 mixture with race gas due to pinging. I still cant figure out the jetting on my bike. It seems like I am having to run richer jetting than most. I'm currently running 45\155 and the needle that fmf"s site recommends in the 2nd clip position. It seems allmost too lean. I want too try a cel needle and see how that works out.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Picture this: ( I said picture this don't try it lol)
You remove the spark plug and drop a copper bb (ya know from a bb gun) down the hole, replace the plug and start the engine. This is kinda what pinging sounds like.

Your needle seems lean, hows it run at mid throttle. Does it wheelie 3rd gear with a flick of the wrist. My bike likes alot of fuel on the needle to get rid of a hesitation when I gun-it.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I screwed up, sorry, my pilot is a 40, not 42.
re: mid throttle...meaning 1/2...great response, plenty of wheelies:). Its below 1/2 where I seem to struggle. I have not been able to overcome the 4-stroking effect yet.
I will order a bunch of different needles and play some more....CEK, CEJ, others?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Update...

Update...
After much frustration trying to work things out with different needles, trying to cure a 1/4 throttle 4-stroke effect, here is where I am at right now: pilot 38 (will go back to 40)
main 152.
I played with CEL, DEL, and CEJ, to no avail.
In frustration I threw in the stock needle R1174K, and guess what...in the top clip position (#1) it ran much better than any of the other attempts, almost no "hickup" , so now I am going to try some different needles with increased L1.
I'll get this thing running right eventually..... :aj:

Top Bottom