john3_16

May 17, 2004
Well, I've finally got the jetting dialed and I have to say that I'm very impressed with Eric's work.

The first thing I noticed when I put the bike together was how much more difficult it was to kick it over due to the high compression...When you push the kickstart lever through the stroke you can hear the airbox drawing in much more air...Sweet.
Once it's started up the engine has a much deeper tone...I'm not talking about exhaust note, just the way the engine itself sounds.

Completely stock, my main problem with the CR was that when you enter into a slow corner and use second the bike would wind out before you even got out of the corner...And you had to have the engine under such a huge load to make 3rd gear pull decently that the upshift to 3rd became so difficult that it required backing off the throttle...And by the time you made the shift to 3rd the revs have already dropped and I was back in blah blah territory....The other problem is if you use third on the stock bike you have to have lots of momentum otherwise it would be hard to get the bike on the pipe because of the sluggish low end...3rd gear was off limits in any corner tighter than a sweeper....Past those issues the motor pulled strongly in the upper mid and top end.

Now...With the EG cylinder, I can't believe how strong the the bike is in the lower ranges...In deep sandy corners the bike can now pull 3rd gear without the clutch...About mid corner you can pin the throttle, no clutch needed, and the bike will move forward steadily and by the time the front end begins pointing down the straight the power is pullling full steam ahead while you're hunched over the front end in an attempt to keep it down....It's like the perfect combination of smooth and explosive power and once you learn how to ride it with out slamming the clutch all the time cornering is so much smoother...No more blah blah...And this is in deep sandy loam pulling 3rd gear corners with authority...With the EG bike clutching it results in the front end searching for the sky so you just learn to ride without the clutch and let the power pull you through.

When you want to loft the wheel over a bump....No problem...Just wick the gas on and position your body for it...Front end comes up whever you want it too...Sometimes when you're not expecting it too..lol

2nd gear seems to shift better too because you aren't forced to wind it out so hard to pull 3rd with authority...

The entire lower range of the powerband is vastly improved and the top end pulls so much stronger...It's such a huge difference over stock.

The bike is actually more fun and easier to ride now...With the added power you can do things that are seemingly impossible on the stock bike...I'm very pleased with Erics work and with correct jetting the engine has surpassed my expectations. More powerful everywhere in the RPM range and quicker reving.

Thanks EG!

03' CR250 "mo better' ported cylinder
Altitude: 600-700 ft. above sea level
Fuel: VP red or TrackTek 111 mixed 32:1 with Mobil MX2T
Jetting: 370 main
needle lowered 1 position
Pilot stock
slow jet stock

Last edited:

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Awesome report John! I'm about to bolt up my 265 "mo better" from EG. Needless to say, I can't wait!

BTW, looks like we have the same taste in motorcycles. :cool:

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
john3_16 said:
Well, I've finally got the jetting dialed and I have to say that I'm very impressed with Eric's work.

The first thing I noticed when I put the bike together was how much more difficult it was to kick it over due to the high compression...When you push the kickstart lever through the stroke you can hear the airbox drawing in much more air...Sweet.
Once it's started up the engine has a much deeper tone...I'm not talking about exhaust note, just the way the engine itself sounds.

Completely stock, my main problem with the CR was that when you enter into a slow corner and use second the bike would wind out before you even got out of the corner...And you had to have the engine under such a huge load to make 3rd gear pull decently that the upshift to 3rd became so difficult that it required backing off the throttle...And by the time you made the shift to 3rd the revs have already dropped and I was back in blah blah territory....The other problem is if you use third on the stock bike you have to have lots of momentum otherwise it would be hard to get the bike on the pipe because of the sluggish low end...3rd gear was off limits in any corner tighter than a sweeper....Past those issues the motor pulled strongly in the upper mid and top end.

Now...With the EG cylinder, I can't believe how strong the the bike is in the lower ranges...In deep sandy corners I can pull 3rd gear without the clutch...About mid corner you can pin the throttle, no clutch needed, and the bike will move forward steadily and by the time the front end begins pointing down the straight the power is pullling full steam ahead while you're hunched over the front end in an attempt to keep the front end down....It's like the perfect combination of smooth and explosive power and once you learn how to ride it with out slamming the clutch all the time cornering is so much smoother...No more blah blah...And this is in deep sandy loam pulling 3rd gear corners with authority...With the EG bike clutching it results in the front end searching for the sky so you just learn to ride without the clutch and let the power pull you through.

When you want to loft the wheel over a bump....No problem...Just wick the gas on and position your body for it...Front end comes up whever you want it too...Sometimes when you're not expecting it too..lol

2nd gear seems to shift better too because you aren't forced to wind it out so hard to pull 3rd with authority...

The entire lower range of the powerband is vastly improved and the top end pulls so much stronger...It's such a huge difference over stock.

The bike is actually more fun and easier to ride now...With the added power you can do things that are seemingly impossible on the stock bike...I'm very pleased with Erics work and with correct jetting the engine has surpassed my expectations. More powerful everywhere in the RPM range and quicker reving.

Thanks EG!

03' CR250 "mo better' ported cylinder
Altitude: 600-700 ft. above sea level
Fuel: VP red or TrackTek 111 mixed 32:1 with Mobil MX2T
Jetting: 370 main
needle lowered 1 position
Pilot stock
slow jet stock
Any other mods?

sandflyz

Dec 10, 2004
I just got my eg ported cr 250 (03) going the other day. It's a different bike i love it. I rode it for about half an hour before i wiped out and broke 3 fingers. Now its waiting in my basement until my hand heals up :bang:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
SQUIRLEYMOFO said:
Any other mods?

None whatsoever unless you count pro taper handlebars and medium grips from renthal....

Stock pipe, stock silencer and stock gearing....

This is what surprised me the most...The fact that I had stock gearing and the bike was able to pull 3rd gear in deep sandy loam with that much authority.

I'm going to try my friends SST pipe to see how it works..He has a Varner cylinder and we use almost exactly the same jetting specs so it should bolt right on. He hasn't had any detonation troubles with it so it should bolt right on.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
tony91 said:
Awesome report John! I'm about to bolt up my 265 "mo better" from EG. Needless to say, I can't wait!

BTW, looks like we have the same taste in motorcycles. :cool:

Thanks...That 265 is going to be a monster if the porting alone is any indicator..15 more cc's and mo better porting...Be careful!

Yeah, the RC51 is an excellent motorcycle...Rare too...That bike made me nervous because I didn't want anyone to touch it....lol...I sold it last summer to make an investment which turned out to be a good decision...But I still miss it...It went to a good owner that is as meticulous as me when it comes to maintenance so that makes me feel better...lol

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom