whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Bclapham,the 324 does not offer enough piston cooling,the 537 does,then add boost to suit your needs.The 355 would have been safer to try,but the 537 is designed for 2 strokes.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
W.F.F.R.,

"EG YZ144 Jetting" is the title of this thread. :bang: I, for one, think that someone who modifies their own bike should learn how to do that, properly, so that they can dial their jetting in for WHATEVER conditions they have. Fuel, elevation, temperature, humidity, engine set up, condition, and air filter are some of the most common variables to be dealt with, but there are others, also.

burgunder, several of us have made good suggestions as to how you might improve your jetting skills so you can learn how to deal with these constantly changing variables. Let's hear your results! :nod:

W.F.F.R. has pointed out just how complex your fuel variables can be. Pick a fuel option that YOU like and go ride your bike so you can evaluate, yourself, what you want to change next! :ride:

burgunder

Oct 3, 2006
I am not hessitant to change my jetting by any means (except the main do to fear of seizing.) I have been working on the pilot and needle since I did the 144. I started with the needle one step richer (stock 05 needle 4th clip), a 45 pilot(both advised by the engine builder), and a 450 main advised by a few on the site and on tt. I understand that E.G. would rather advise a bike run rich than blow up. It is actually good business. Since then I have started leaning it out and have settled on a 35 pilot, an 06 needle in the 2nd clip after trying everything in between. It should be said that the bike has always run well. I have never (ever) foulded a plug and there is no stumble anywhere in the throttle range. The only thing that i am unhappy about is the amount of crap I have on my swing arm. The idea of this thread is not to learn how to jet, but rather to compair notes on a bike that very very few people own. For example, I have heard many people say that the main jet needs to go leaner than stock do to the larger piston being able to draw more fuel/air through the carb. I have no Idea whether that is true or not, but I have heard other say that they have burnt up a piston because the stock main was too lean. Some say that they are running mains as large as 500. Now I do understand that you can't tell somebody what the perfect jetting is, do to the many variables, but spread of 380 to over 500 doesn't make any sense to me. I could understand if these people were 50 degrees temp difference and 5000 elevation differance, but they are not. I just wanted to compair jetting so I can get rid of the goo on my swingarm, and get all the power I can without frying my bike.

burgunder

Oct 3, 2006
The title of the thread is EG yz144 JETTING, but Rich was smart enough to realize that my jetting could be perfect the way it is right now, but do to the fuel I am using now could be the cause of my concerns. For that, I thank you.

Rich, I also appriciate the way you don't give answers but rather give me enough information to find the answers on my own. That is true teaching. Thank you.

PT cr

Jan 4, 2002
Burgunder,

I am going to try leaning the main down from 440. I did have it sieze with a 430 on a sand track, but maybe the damage was done some other time with different jetting...

Sounds like it's time to start heading to 380-400.
Let me know what you end up with.
Parker

lin842

Aug 20, 2007
PT cr said:
Burgunder,

I am going to try leaning the main down from 440. I did have it sieze with a 430 on a sand track, but maybe the damage was done some other time with different jetting...

Sounds like it's time to start heading to 380-400.
Let me know what you end up with.
Parker

I have been running a 430 in the yz and have several races that were mud bogs and also have run several races at sandy tracks and have had no problems yet. I was running a 45PJ and a stock needle in the third clip.

Last weekend I ran a 410MJ because I was having some problems with no top end power and someone told me to try that and after agonizing over it for several motos I decided to try it for the last moto. What the heck, I didn't have anything to lose (well maybe a top end) because we had crappy finishes in everything we had done so far. The bike was a little better but it was still something that just wasn't right.

Monday after the race I carried it to my shop and pulled off the carb and as soom as I did I found the problem, my V3 reeds had took a dump and more fuel was shooting out the back than was going into the motor. What was strange was the dang thing would idle ok.

I ordered new reeds which didn't come in yet so I'm going to run my old Boyesen reeds this weekend. I went back to the 430 but I had to drop down to a 42.5 PJ.

Top Bottom