Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Does anyone use elbow pads / guards? I have always felt strange not having any protection on my forearms and elbows since they usually hit first on low sides, etc. It seems like very few MX riders use them.

I have tried several brands, Fox, 661, etc. and they all seem to slip down around your wrists after a few laps. If I make them tight enough to prevent this then my arms pump up.

Is the reason so few MX riders where them because of what I have been dealing with?

Thanks, Walt

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
Walt,

I also have a set of the Fox elbow pads and I only used them twice. The arm pump and them sliding around was bothering me.... I think that's why so few people wear them.

Steven

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
The only set up that actually works well is a full armor jacket from 661 that I got about a year back. It zips on and has elbow, shoulder and front / back protection. It has all the pads sewn in to a fabric jacket so they don't move. It works great but it is extremely hot and it to causes arm pump.

I rode this weekend without anything and my arms did feel better and last much longer than with the pads on.

- Walt

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I did some trail riding yeasterday on a 4 mile loop after the first lap I had arm pump (fox forearm guards). I took off the forearm guards and did about 9 more laps without forearm pump. I really dislike riding without the protection and I always insist that my daughter wear all her safety gear. I may not wear mine anymore unless I'm riding rocks, tight trails or my daughter is around. Then I won't have to hear "why do I have to wear them and you don't?".

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I had the same problem. Arm pump! I have some thor elbow savers. I drilled a hole in the top of them and also drilled a hole in the bottom of the bicep guard on my chest protector. I then put them both on and adjusted the elbow guard were I wanted it. Then put a long zip-tie between the two through the holes that I drilled. I can now run the elbow pads as loose as I want and they will not fall down. No more arm pump! I can post us some pics if you would like. The ties don't get in the way at all. The things collected dust for about a year.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I'm going to try these from Answer. Anyone have any experience w/them?

http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,16254.html

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I have a pair of Fox elbow guards, I don't see how they'd ever slip down your arms, they are pretty tight, (unless you have little itty-bitty arms) ;)

Arm pump? I still don't know what that is all about?

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I have the thor elbow savers too, only ones I've tried but I leave them loose and just adjust them as needed. I fall down too much to not wear them!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
My fox elbow guards would always slide down my arms because, 1) not on tight enough, because too tight causes arm pump, and 2) casing jumps or overjumping, studderbumps on track would work them down.
I just ordered these 661 extreme race elbow guards, when they came in at the shop, they looked like knee pads!!! I have never seen guards like these, I think they are the same ones they use for their body armor. they pretty much start from your wrist and go all the way up to your shoulder!. biofoam all thruout and they have a plastic cups on the back of the bicep down to the elbow, then a cap on the forearm. I havent worn them yet but i cant see how these would ever slip down...Still debating whether they are too excessive.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've got those fox ones with the stretchy stuff that you slip on. There's a plastic protection piece thats built in. The protection sucks for anything like rocks but in a lowside they help. I've had issues with them sliding and they're pretty uncomfortable especially in hot weather.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
I just tried the 661 "race" guards that you mentioned. I thought they would be the answer but they slipped down as well. I cranked them up tight so they wouldn't slip and then my arms went numb. I think you need to have some pretty big biceps so the top strap goes above the bicep and won't slip down. Other wise it doesn't seem to work.

- Walt

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have the Thor elbow guards and I use 2-sided velcro to attach it to the upper arm protection of my chest protector. That way if I want to remove them it is very easy.

They stay up easy and I don't have to overtighten them.

Ivan

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Originally posted by TWRT
I'm going to try these from Answer. Anyone have any experience w/them?

http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,16254.html
I have the Thor guards, and they are identical to these from Answer.
I wear mine most of the time, even though they didn't help much one bad day about six months ago. I went down hard, twice in one day. The first crash, it was really my right forearm that got shredded, so I shouldn't blame the elbow guards.

The second time I hit my left arm just forward of the elbow -- right where the plastic "armor" has a gap. I hit hard enough that I really thought I broke my arm. I just ended up with a massive hematoma. It literally looked like half of a baseball was under my skin! The doctor took three syringes of blood out and it was still swollen for a month.

Overall I'm happy with them. They certainly help with brush and branches on tight trails. They're comfortable enough to wear all day without being obtrusive.

Top Bottom