quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
Just put on the KTM electric fan kit for 2001 520 EXC. I rate it a thumbs up :) .

Installs in about 45 minutes. Includes instructions, hardware, wiring harness, thermostatic switch. No splicing required. Remove the tank, mount the fan, replace the drain plug on the left side radiator with a thermostatic switch. Plug in the connectors. Ride!

Fan comes on after about 3-4 mins of idling. Fan may continue running after engine switched off. Moves a LOT of air. The air flow is very hot, a sign of good, efficient heat transfer. About 4-5 minutes of slow trail speed on level ground, 10-15 mph, with 90F ambient temperature, and the fan cycles off again. The fan cannot be heard while running, but the air flow from it can be felt on your leg, (or with your hand) while scooting along at 15 mph or more.

Although it looks like one, it is NOT one of those computer type cooling fans that draw 0.3 amps. This fan is protected with a 5 amp fuse. If you stall the fan with you hand, or debris gets in it, it will blow the 5 amp fuse to protect itself. Don't run with the wrong size fuse, because the next fuse inline (10A), if it blows, will shut the engine down.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
$$$$$$$$$

How much did this cost you? I have a 250 E/XC and my dad has a 400 E/XC, we both are thinking of getting fans because on 1-2-3 gear trails, they run pretty darn hot. Thanks

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Time for a re-design

I have seen a couple 520s overheat in the tight slow stuff. I just do't think a fan is a reliable solution to the problem. Mud and debris would be a serious threat to any fan. A fan seems like a gauranteed weak link to me. Just my gut reaction and thoughts.

Good luck and let us know how it holds up.

WoodChuck

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
XRE, the fan was $147 + freight from http://www.mikescyclektm.com.

Woodchuck, you may be right, time will tell. Fan is on the rear side of radiator however, where it gets some protection. Mud is not usually a big concern out here on the Colorado trails, but never say never. But you can count on steep rocky uphill climbs, with not a lot of high altitude thin air getting through the radiator at slow trail speeds. I've seen EVERY liquid cooled bike boil coolant. The DRZ400 street has a cooling fan but not the dirt version. It can use one. Another good thing to have is an overflow tank. The 520EXC, well it may be a hot runner due to its racing state of tune, but I don't know what else you can do and still have a reasonably sized radiator. Get the 400EXC instead, I guess. Or an air cooled bike like my old DR.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
XRE: If you find a way for it to work on the 250EXC let me know. It's my assumption that it will require a battery though.

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
As far as I know RM, the fan kit I purchased is just for the 4 strokes. It may be adaptable to the others, if there is room behind the radiator, and you have a 12v system (lighting coil). Obviously, without a battery it's not going to run after the engine shuts off. No big deal there. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to draw the battery down, or run long enough after shut down to be a problem for the battery.

Katoum

Dec 24, 2000
I've been using the fan all season and its been bulletproof. No mud can get at it because its mounted behind the radiator and well protected. It comes on long before boil over point and I feel is a great addition to a already fine bike.

Top Bottom