atxdmax

Sep 9, 2007
ok i have a 1982 honda xl100 and it is not getting any fire to the plug. :bang: i just replaced the coil and condenser, checked the points gap and that did not fix it. when you kick over the engine the light on the handle bars lights up but nothing else happens. would the regulator/rectifier be bad if so how do you test it. or any other tests i can do would be great!

atxdmax

Sep 9, 2007
well it has one on it and it is completely dry but it ran fine before it all the sudden quit running. (it was rigged so you don't have to have one i guess). its not electric start so i think the batt was just on there for the lights which are no longer on there.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm no electrimagician, but I recall needing a battery to run my ol' DT175 whether I ran the lights or not. Could be something in the "rigging" it to run without that's causing the problem.

atxdmax

Sep 9, 2007
i hooked up a 6v batt charger to it and still no spark. is there any where i can get a wiring diagram without purchasing the book? like on the internet or somethin?

peanuts

Jun 16, 2007
There is a circuit diagram for a xl100 here:
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class

It doesn't say what year however.

Now, like XRpred I am not an electrician. However, as best as I can figure your ignition coil (the part that turns a small amount of voltage into the massive voltage required to blow up your fuel and air in your combustion chamber) draws its power from the battery.

If you know an electrician or someone who knows their way around a circuit they could tell you for sure. Your 6v charger may have failed for a few reasons, one of which may be that it does produce enough current.

A simple test would be to replace your old battery with a functioning 6V battery. It doesnt have to be new, you could pull it off a mates bike or something. Just to see if it works. If it does, easy fix, replace the battery.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to look elsewhere. On an old bike it could be something as simple as a broken wire. But do the battery test first.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check the wire that goes to the frame and make sure it has a good connection

Top Bottom