Electronic Ignition for '03 Honda XR400? Help!

nck082

Sep 19, 2007
Electric Start for '03 Honda XR400? Help!

Hey guys- new to the forum and dirt bikes in general, and I'm on the hunt for a website or seller that has an electric start for my 2003 Honda XR400. I know they exist somewhere, but I can't find it! Thanks again in advance :nod: Is this the right area of the forum to post this question?

Last edited:

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
What part of the ignition system are you looking for? CDI, coil, voltage reg? Need more specifics for a solid answer. What problems are you having with the bike?

I see you've edited the original post to say electric start. It makes a lot more sense now. You could buy the electric start parts for a 400EX 4 wheeler and do it that way. I doubt it would be much cheaper. Probably be cheaper to sell the bike and buy one with electric start.

Last edited:

nck082

Sep 19, 2007
DANG! There's got to be a kit thats cheaper than 690 pounds AKA $1400! No simple kits from the US? Thanks so much for the responses guys

Jan 3, 2007
If you buy all the parts off of a Honda 400EX quad for the electric start motor it works out to be $823 befor taxes at bikebandit.com but you will be able to get it cheaper at the service honda site (our sponsor) if you tell them your situation them might have one laying around that they might sell cheaper.

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
nck082 said:
DANG! There's got to be a kit thats cheaper than 690 pounds AKA $1400! No simple kits from the US? Thanks so much for the responses guys
There is no simple way to do it. No matter how you look at it adding e-start to an XR4 is going to cost you.

Joe Racer makes a kit for the XR4 that runs $1400 new. Its the same kit that XR Stuff is selling.

Using 400EX parts means using pretty much the whole 400EX bottom end. The cases, crank, and flywheel are all different plus the starter motor and gear clutch assy are needed.

titchy

Mar 5, 2008
from Titchy

Dude dont do it just a general warning with the button kit that you can get in OZ for XR400's dont risk it I only got 9 months out of mine and the adapter shaft let go. Apparently there is a batch of soft shafts and they screw out. Got no help from the supplier in VIC he actually palmed me off saying that it was a lack of oil but every body that has looked at the shaft said it was soft, even the Honda shop head Mech that installed it. He was disgusted with the attitude from the supplier as well. Another $1000 bucks later and the thing starts but now im packin it thinkin its gunna pop it self again BE WARNED.^BGHD

snarzom

Mar 30, 2009
Titchy, can you tell me where in Oz you can get the kit, Full kit £1200 delivered from XR stuff to expencive for me. Whats the AUD cost??

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom