Elevation change tuning

dd_moto

Feb 8, 2005
Hey i got a yz125 and im going to go do a desert race in higher elevation. so im just wondering i right now am in 2880 feet above sea level. the race is at 4649 above sea level. can anyone tell me what to tune on bike for this increase in elevation? thank you in advanced.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
Higher elevation=less air...therefore, tune your bike accordingly...it makes it run richer basically...so you need to make it run leaner :)

Last edited:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
crazyrydermx said:
Higher elevation=less air...therefore, tune your bike accordingly...make it run richer basically

Wrong. He wants to lean it not richen it to correct for the reduced air density at higher elevation.

Higher elevation means less air density, so there is less oxygen in a given volume of air because it isn't packed together as tightly. For increased elevation alone, you need to lean the jets out, which is normally 1 jet size per 1000ft of elevation.

But, if temperature changes as well, you have to account for that as well. If the temperature is lower than what the bike is currently jetted for, you will need to richen the jetting slightly because air gets more dense with lower temperatures, hence more oxygen in a given air volume, and you need more fuel to have the correct air/fuel ratio. If the temperature is warmer, the air is less dense, less oxygen, and you need to lean the jetting out to deliver less fuel.
If the bike is jetted correctly, it is normally 1 jet size for a temperature change of 20 degreesF plus or minus from your baseline temp the jetting is set for.

As you can see, you have to know what the changes are for both temperature and elevation. If temperature decreases and elevation increases, depending upon the magnitude of each change, you may or may not even have to alter the jetting.

Mikuni makes a very handy slide rule jetting calculator, that allows you to do these elevation and temperature corrections very quickly. You simply correct it for your elevation change from your current jetting, and then for the temperature change, just as you would do when calculating it by hand.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
Sorry...I fixed it...I was replying to another post about jetting so I put the wrong thing. That's what I meant though. Believe me, I have done a lot of elevation changes so I know what I mean...and I am once again sorry for giving you false info.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
crazyrydermx said:
Sorry...I fixed it...I was replying to another post about jetting so I put the wrong thing. That's what I meant though. Believe me, I have done a lot of elevation changes so I know what I mean...and I am once again sorry for giving you false info.

No big deal, it's easy enough to get mixed up and say the wrong thing, even when you're thinking the right thing, especially when dealing with multiple similar issues on the same subject on here.

Sometimes I wish I could just fly to wherever the person is and help them in person, because it would be easier than trying to explain to them how to do it. chunkus04 with his 84 RM 125 is one such case, I bet we could have the bike running much faster than we can type it and let him try it. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or money to be flying all over to help everyone fix their bike issues, and I'm sure no one else does.

I'm sure if you did this, you could jet his bike for the elevation and temperature change faster than typing about it too.

dd_moto

Feb 8, 2005
so what are you saying is go up on the pilot jet and around 2? and the temp is about 20 degress lower

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Since you're going up 1800 ft, thats about 2 sizes down, but since you're going down 20 degrees F, that needs one size back up. You should only need to drop one size down on the main and pilot. But you'll want to get there and test it to ensure you aren't still rich, or too lean.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…