Eliminating e-start from ktm520

wdsracer

Nov 16, 1999
I was curious if anyone had any idea about the possibility of eliminating the electric start from a ktm520 exc, or mxc. I am interested in the weight savings that the mod would achieve. It seems the bike doesn't have much of a problem with kick-starting. Is this also true.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
A few people I know, actually kick start their bikes rather than using the electric start. They try the button then end up kicking.
You could remove the starter motor and make a plate to block off the hole.

KTMSMITH

Jan 9, 2002
I did this on my 01 400 exc. The weight savings is 7 pounds if you dont go into the clutch and remove the started gears that are in there. You will need a plug that closes the hole between the starter and the clutch side case. It's a few dollers if I recall. The whole procedure takes less than ten minutes to do. By the way, I raced one harescramble without the estart. I dumped the bike 3 minutes into the race and watched myself go from first in class to dead last overall while i spent 2 minutes trying to get her lit back up. Go figure. LOL.

wdsracer

Nov 16, 1999
Thanks KTMSMITH and others for the productive info. Sounds like it won't be an issue at all. I guess you always take a chance when you take off the e-start. However 7 pounds is a lot of weight. That coupled with a light exhaust is over 10 pounds of weight off of your bike. Seems like a lot to me, especially if I went on that diet anyway, since everybody must be fat and capable of losing weight.

James Dean

May 17, 2000
I tried it for a few rides, here is a breakdown of the weights:

Starter- 2 lbs
Battery- 4.25lbs
Headlight- 1.1lbs
Lightweight Muffler- 3.25lbs (6.5 vs 3.25)

Total Loss- 10.6lbs

The plug for the starter was only a few dollars from KTM, with O-ring. I drilled it in the center and fitted a bolt through it to pull the plug out for switching back and forth.

I missed the starter too much and the exhaust was TOOOO LOUD (PC T-4). I would rather carry the weight and use the starter for stalls in the stealth mode.

James

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
The weight difference is noticable,...even more so with the SX, (rear fender, fender brace, headlamp/odo, kickstand, excel rims, 19" r. wheel, ring gear, tank).........its just a matter of,... 'is it worth it?' :cool:

wdsracer

Nov 16, 1999
It is cool to know that you have the option. Saving ten pounds would be nice for racing. However it is always good to be able to switch back and have the quiet pipe and easy starting if you aren't going all out. Did you notice a big difference in power with your aftermarket exhaust, did you also replace the header?

Top Bottom