Elmer Symons Killed Today in Stage 4 of Paris to Dakar

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Elmer Symons, a South African KTM rider basically doing a privateer effort was killed today in Dakar. Some of you may have met him at LMS, he also took time out to put on a riding clinic @ Brock Creek back in late November. I never got to meet him, but from what i understand of him from our buddies in AR, he was an amazingly gifted rider and heck of a human being. At least he went out living out his dream of doing Dakar. Godspeed Elmer

Here is the link for the news story:
http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,9294,2-9-32_2052764,00.html

122124061lok9.jpg

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I met Elmer last year at the PMMC 24 hour, great guy and gifted. He ran the ironman for 24 hours to train for the Dakkar Rally.

This is yet another reminder to live while you can.

God Speed Elmer.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Godspeed, Elmer Symons

It is with a very heavy heart that I must pass along the news of the death of my friend, Elmer Symons. Of course, besides being an amazing off-road racer, most anyone who ever met Elmer would consider themselves to be his friend.

Details are still not available, but Elmer, 29, died 140km into stage 4 this morning in the Dakar Rally. He was in 18th place & leading the super-production class. Medics arrived 8 min. after his GPS alerted the officials of the sudden stop of his machine, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Elmer was competing in his first Dakar Rally after serving as Scot Hardin's KTM Red Bull mechanic there in 2005, and helping run James Embro's JJE Constructors/SSC team in 2006. Elmer was riding for James' team this year; his brother, Phillip, was serving as his mechanic, and is still in the Dakar bivouac, uncertain when & how he will be able to travel to his home in South Africa. The JJE/SSC Team support truck experienced mechanical problems on Sunday & is currently stranded at the Tangier, Morroco airport waiting for truck parts to arrive. Phillip had hitched a ride with the Rally/SoCal Husky Team to continue on.

There is more information on a variety of websites, but most are referred to somewhere on the Adventure Rider racing forum at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

In his years living in the United States, Elmer criss-crossed the country repeatedly competing in most all types of cross-country races, including EnduroCross, Last Man Standing, Best in the Desert, GNCC, Enduros, etc.
I helped pit him in his Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge Ironman victory last year. All of this, however, was simply training, for him, for the Dakar Rally.

I learned a lot in my short time with Elmer. I admired his riding smoothness, dedication, commitment, spirit, and most of all, his almost constant smile & kindness. Besides the riding clinics he conducted, Elmer taught all who he came in contact with lessons; it is now up to us to apply those lessons on our life.

As some others have said today, He was living his dream and he died with his boots on. Rest in peace, Elmer; We will all miss you, that is, until we meet & ride again! :ugg: :worship: :(

Top Bottom