EMGO Shifters = JUNK!

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
We just switched to dirt bikes, a month ago, from riding quads for over 7 years. The KDX we picked up needed a shifter and since OEM was soooo much money, I opted for aftermarket. I saw this EMGO on Eb@y and decided, Hey, it looks just like the Moose brand that is on my CR250... I'll "Buy It Now"!

So it gets delivered and it looks a bit flimsy, but I say: We Gotta Ride tomorrow! My son installs it and the bolt breaks! So he overtighted it, no big deal.... the shift shaft is a bit worn.. no biggie. I was able to get the bolt out and replace it with a nice stainless steel piece. Good to go!

We unload at the trailhead and start out on our first real ride on dirtbikes.... my son is doing well (15), when he realizes the shifter is bent after he kick starts it after killing it in some tight stuff. We head back to the truck for some repairs.

With the shifter bent back in shape (it was too easy) we hook up with some friends and go for good ride. Yep, we're slow, but we make it through without incident. Back at the truck I see the shifter is bent again, but not as bad and in a different place! Time to replace this POS!

Bottom line: We bought a Moose and it is a much, much, much (infinity) better part. The EMGO (DontGO) is designed to rely on the shifting forces to be absorbed by the thickness of the steel which is about 3/16". The Moose is designed to absorb this same force in the width of the steel (about 1/2") and the thickness of the shifter is about 1/4"! There is no comparision!

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
It's funny you mention the Emgo shifter. My first bike ever was a piece of junk 87 kdx. I needed to replace the shifter when I bought the bike. The shifter I bought for it was an Emgo, I also snapped the bolt when installing it. After replacing the bolt, I was out riding one day and went to shift and the shifter was gone.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm a HUGE believer in you get what you pay for, less disppointments.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Fro shifters, I'm OEM or nothing. I don't like steel ones, since a shifter is easier to replace than the shifter shaft. And the cheap aluminum ones, well, you know the rest.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Anybody tried a tusk shifter from rockymountain? From the pics, they look just like oem. If not, I guess I'll have to get one for the toolbox and check it out...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I did try a tusk. It was well made, but the bend was wrong( I did get the recommended shifter for the specific bike). Again, you get what you pay for....

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Run steel shifters on our woods bikes because of shimming-out ignition cover.........trying to bend aluminum (stock) is asking for a break. Emgo's stuff IS junk based on our experience, (cracked at weld when trying to bend.) Moose and MSR makes a superior product.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Run steel shifters on our woods bikes because of shimming-out ignition cover..........

What?? Shimming out ignition cover ?? Whazzat??

Mully

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Mully said:
What?? Shimming out ignition cover ?? Whazzat??

Mully

On a RM250, the flywheel is not centered to the case-cover. So.........you can not go very big in diameter with a flywheel weight. Run a 12 oz weight, and in order to go that big, had to go "outwards." A machinest friend made me a 3/8in thick shim so cover will clear the weight, then, need a shifter to clear. Works like a champ, and even looks "full factory." :nod:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Just don't hook that steel shifter on anything or you might bend the shifter shaft instead of bending the shifter. If that happens, then you not only get to disassemble some of the motor to remove it, but you also get to figure out how to get a bent shaft out of a hole through the cases. Just food for thought.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
mtk said:
Just don't hook that steel shifter on anything or you might bend the shifter shaft instead of bending the shifter. If that happens, then you not only get to disassemble some of the motor to remove it, but you also get to figure out how to get a bent shaft out of a hole through the cases. Just food for thought.

I'm almost convinced that my buddy's CR500 STAYS in 3rd gear, :fft: no worries there

just kidding.

anyway I have had a moose and it worked well,nice quality.

Crazy

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Drilling a quarter inch hole or three in a steel shifter will pretty much ensure that it will sacrifice itself to save the shaft, but I've bent plenty of unmodified steel shifters without bending the shaft.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Do any of you guys run a shifter snake (similar to a brake snake) to prevent it from being grabbed by rocks, branches, etc? I ran one on my XR200R but I don't on my GasGas because the brake pedal and shifter is nice and tucked in from any grabbers.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Just bought an "OEM" shifter from the dealer for my son's RM65. Twenty-five bucks for a front brake lever? Oh well, it's the good stuff... Nope! The first time out, he's just sitting there and drops the bike(you know how kids do) on soft ground, breaking the lever in half. Usually they'll bend a time or two, or maybe the ball breaks off the end, but not his one. Fifteen minute life span. I think I'll get a basket of the $9.95 levers off Th****.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
That's exactly why I put Cycra ProBends on my CR250. ;) I hate broken levers, particularly when I have to ride home through the woods with no clutch. :(

As for aftermarket ones, I really like the Moose forged levers. They seem to be a lot nicer than the no-name crapola ones. The only down side on them is that the brake lever uses much coarser threads on the adjuster bolt than the stock Honda lever. No idea if this applies to the RM or not.

As for the "brake snake" and "shifter snake," those are both things I should add to the CR250 since it is primarily a woods weapon. I guess I haven't located the appropriate "round tuit" just yet.

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I had a vicious high side last weekend that claimed my clutch lever and the backside of the perch. I have an ARC lever that should be here tomorrow that I'll be crash testing this weekend in the mud. We'll see how well it holds up...

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Masterphil said:
I have an ARC lever that should be here tomorrow that I'll be crash testing this weekend in the mud. We'll see how well it holds up...
Let us know how that works out. Those things had better be durable to justify the price tag!

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmmmmm.....Ive bent a good many steel units...once I did actually have a shaft move, and the case actually cracked around the shaft hole.

Of course, I have also witnessed a pair of vice grips being used as a gear shifter. That was the standard replacement part when I was a kid.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
My son finished a hare scramble with set of vise grips on the shifter just last month. Clamped the grips on and slipe (3) wire ties around the handles so they would not release. Worked for (2) 7 miles laps. He finished in 2nd place.

Neccessity is the mother of invention. Or could it just be the good ol'boy in all of us. Give me a pair of vise grips, Flat bladed screw driver, a roll of duct tap and a spool of bailing wire and I'll try to fix anything!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom