Enclosed trailers- V-nose worth it?

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
I have used a 5x10 enclosed trailer for a decade or more. I'm wanting to move up to a 7x16 tandem axle trailer to pull behind an Expedition (5.4l, 3.55 rear end). Within a few months I hope to have a 3/4 ton crew cab short bed diesel. Is the V-nose trailers such as made by Pace worth the extra money?

I have heard they pull better in windy situations. Do they make any difference in economy? Years ago the Wells Cargo trailers had a bubble-front option that was supposed to increase the mileage economy. But, how long would it take to pay for that option? Nowadays, we have the V-nose trailers.

My local trailer dealer has a flat nose enclosed trailer in stock with a year-end closeout price. Is the v-nose worth waiting 6 to 8 weeks and paying probably $600 to $750 more?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Todd
DR 435
XR 250
XR 200
XR 100
two atv's and a pull-behind Bush Hog for creating trails!

:)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Tough one to answer objectively. I've pulled up to 7x14 flat nosed trailers and have owned Vee nosed ones in 7x17 and 8.5x19, including the Vee's in the length. However, I never really did any back to back pulls with the same vehicles. I've owned 3 different vehicles over the time I've been pulling the above trailers. A 96 1/2 ton 4x4 'burb w/350, a 99 3/4 ton 4x4 'burb w/454 and my current 01 Silverado 4 door shortbox HD2500 4x4 6.6l Duramax Diesel. The gasser's seemed to always get poor mileage on the interstate pulling any trailer. It may have been somewhat better with the Vee noses but certainly nothing dramatic.

The diesel, my first oil burner, is awesome. It gets almost double the mileage of my 454 at interstate speeds while hauling the 8.5x19 trailer and pulls much stronger. The 454 was no slouch but the torque in this thing is just in another league. It's almost as quiet as my gasser's, too. Quite a motor, IMO.

I like having the Vee nose for the extra room and *I* believe it makes a difference in mpg although I think it's small. If you want to build a workbench, cabinets, etc in the front, the flat nose works out better, IMO.

Top Bottom