WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Normally I ride enduros where you get at least one good break at the gas stop and several places where you don't have to ride all out. Last Sunday I raced a two-hour hare scramble. I normally don't race h/s but my buddy and I were dicing for spode bragging rights (I beat him by seven minutes and ended up being one lap ahead of him :yeehaw: ).

I actually had a good start but backed off after a close call with some unwanted bark until I found a nice train to run with. I had a good pace going, but by the start of my fourth lap (half-way through) fatigue was taking over. I dropped off the train to keep from hurting myself. By the fifth lap I was in trail spode mode. Butt stayed in seat, wouldn't get out of second in the tight stuff and pulled over for some short breaks. My sixth lap wasn't any better.

I did finish, but realize I need to work on my conditioning. That should help my speed in two-hour h/s and through long enduro sections. The problem is I have very little time to do any serious training. My healthclub membership got revoked when we went down to one income last year. I have a set of free weights and a mountain bike, but can only spare a half-hour/day working out.

I'm not sure if there are any exercise programs for improving stamina that can be squeezed into a half-hour. It might be easier to make a day two hours longer. Any help, input, experience appreciated.

Leandro

Aug 9, 2002
I have had the same problem. The best have work for me is to do cardio 3 times per week for 45 minutes each after lifting weights, do weights the same 3 days taking rest of 1 1/2 minutes betewen series and 8-12 repetitions per excersice; I Dont go the gym 2 days before the practice, to recharge my body. The day before race I drink a gallon of water. The morning prior to the race I breakfast with high carbohydrates and calories food, 2 hours later a cup of protein with milk. I fill my camell back with Carbo Fuel from Universal (for fast hydratacion and energy). After the second hour of riding I take a pack of Energy Pack from Universal too while refuling the moto. You can use Power bars but you will have to drink too much water the next 15 minutes son I dont like it. At the end if you dont make mistakes while riding you will end a contest of 4 hours in a really well conditions or in the same way your competitor will.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
WR, what helps my endurance and you can do this in about 20 min. a day. I don't know if you are familiar with Indian history or not but one way to move a war party quickly from one place to another was for the trail member to sprint to the front of the line and then sloww the pace to the rest of the party. And then the new trailer would repeat the process. This being done to quicken the party and not tire them out. Hence the Term "Indian Run" Whew....Now on to what I was getting at, Seince I doubt you will be doing it the way explained above, start by running at a moderate pace, every other telephone pole sprint, then jog the next two, pause and do PU's about 40 or so(also a nice break if you are winded), then get up and sprint the next gap and repeat, sprint 1, jog 2, PU's and repeat.
If you stick to it and drink plenty of water you will notice it in your riding after the first week or so.

Good Luck,
Phillip

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
WR, i can attest to the above. be very careful when you first do this. you might not be able to move very well the next couple of days. i would stretch and start a light jog to warm up. next, i would pick up my stride until i ran out of air. i would slow to a walk for 20 yards or so and drop and do 20 pushups get up and start the jog-to-run thing again till i got out of breath. i was so sore and i had been "jogging" 2 miles a day prior to that.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Basically with your time frame you need to run. That's the simplest and fastest way to get in shape. Also, mix gatorade (or something similar) in your camelback next race. You want to stay away from sugar during the week but you need it during a race to keep your muscle glycogen up.

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
I was told by a track coach the fastest way they knew to get cardio fitness was to run intervals , walk a quarter mile then run a quarter mile , walk , run , walk , run. before long you will be able to run your mileage or total time you are trying for.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
WR - If you work in a building with stairtowers, go bottom to top and back as many times as you can fit in during lunch. I could never manage over 5 or 6 but had a buddy that routinely did 11 or 12 laps bottom to top and back in a 10 story building. Works like intervals ..... Keep track by marking the railing at the top with your finger in the dust. We were down to having to mark the rails at the 8th floor when I quit the firm.
Also, riding the mountain bike on road slicks will increase your lung capacity. I read a suggestion by Lance today. Exhale by pushing out the air and allow your lungs to fill slowly. This will increase the time that your lungs have to take in oxygen.

Top Bottom