rallydude

Feb 18, 2008
Hello all, I am looking for a bike that i can do adventure riding with but i would also like to compete in local enduros. My biggest concern is that something like a Suzuki DR650se will not be able to compete in enduros, has anyone had any success racing local enduros on a bike like this? I really like the bike and I will be using whatever bike i do get for driving to work and maybe even cross country road trips, but also for off road competition.

I come from the world of rally cars but its getting to expensive and want to convert over to bikes...

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
Rallydude,
The 650 will kill you in an enduro. The bike weighs a ton and a half, plus its power really doesnt give much of a boost. If you are considering taking part in both adventure riding and enduro racing, you should think about a KTM 530. I had a 450 but decided to go back to a lighter bike. Went with a 300, also great bikes for what you are considering of riding. Now on a Yz250. I live in Michigan where the trails are a tad bit tighter for our enduros; Marquette, Harrison, and i would never attempt to race a 650.
Nick Rasmussen

rallydude

Feb 18, 2008
I guess i will have to decide weither or not competing in enduros is as important as being comfortable on the street, if i was going for just enduros and some light street it would seem that something like the WR250R or KLX250S would be best and in my price range... still does anyone race the DR-Z400 in Enduros? or does that have the same problems the other dr650 will have, mainly the weight and cornering/maneuvering issues

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
"Enduro" can mean different things to different people.

To some people and enduro is simply a really long race. The course might include paved road sections or long runs high speed terrain. Often the bikes need to be street legal because you would have to navigate from one section of the course to another across public roads. The really big bikes are favored in this type of event, and lights are often required.

To others and "enduro" is a race where the riders are spaced out and are scored based on their elapsed time. The route often includes technical stuff that makes it very difficult to just get across. Full race MX bikes are generally the choice for these events.

The enduros that I participate in are more of a time keeping exercise. While sections of the course may be impossible to maintain the required speed there will be other sections that if you are not careful you will end up early, which costs you even more points. Full race MX bikes, such as a YZ-250 work well, but the "enduro" style bikes are the more typical bike. This type of enduro requires that you have an odometer but that is easy to add to any bike these days. 250 two strokes or 450 four strokes are what I see on these events. The enduros that I run there are places where getting the bike to fit through the boulders can be a challenge and you might have to push the bike over some really nasty stuff. High speed runs are exceedingly rare so I doubt that you would ever make use of the power while the size and weight would frequently be a problem.

So, can you elaborate on which type of enduro you would be likely to be running?

Rod

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The DRZ400E (not S!) is a dirt worthy bike and easily dualsported. The 650 is too big for the woods. I think a GasGas FSR515 or KTM530EXC (or whatever they're calling it these days) would be a good choice.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I am thinking about converting a wr450F over to a dual sport for trail and road. I have a wr250f now and want some more top end for the road without sacrificing handling and the fun factor. I am still trying to influence the other half with no success so far. "You have to many bikes now!" I will just have to bring it home and make sure the guns are not loaded.

rallydude

Feb 18, 2008
dr-z400s is street legal out of the box which is what i'm looking for... from what i've been reading most people think the bike is really great for almost anything offroad and can be easily modified to be better, also sitting on it feels better for riding down the road , i'm thinking the DRz400 is the one for me! I was also watching youtube videos of my local club and the terrain seemed pretty similar to what i do on my mountain bike on the weekends, i heard they will throw in a tight technical section or river crossing every once and awhile but I'm pretty sure i won't hit the limits of the bikes ability on my local enduros! as for the other bikes, the gasgas is too hard to come by and the KTM is alot more expensive...

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You could try the DRZ and it is a decent bike for commuting, though long trips are a bummer without a 6th gear. That's a big advantage to the big KTM thumpers or Husky TE-610, which frankly are the closest you're going to get. But for long adventure rides you may find them too light and getting blown around on the highway.

The WR450 and WR250 are fine offroad but you'll be hating life after maybe 2 hours on the road. Okay as an around towner or to connect trails.

The bottom line is no bike is going to do both in a way to make you happy. One decent definition of compromise is an outcome where neither side is happy. If you hang out at ADVrider, you'll see they always ask you to be honest with how much time is slab vs. dirt, and by dirt they often mean fire roads or mild exploring, not racing. Even an XR650R is more of a plated dirt bike than a true dual sport adventure bike since it has a weak electrical system and feeble subframe. Nor would it be good in tight technical places, but get it to a desert race and it's king.

EnduroRdr

Nov 28, 2007
What do you guys think about the new National Start Control Format? Would you like your local enduros to change from Time Keeping to Start Format?

Top Bottom