Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
As Tom doen't have web access he asked me to post this for him;
Don

Enduro Chairman’s Statement

A lot has come to my attention since the Tree Top enduro and I have been contacted by the AMA regarding what some view as discrepancies in sign –up at this event.
Let me first say that this was My event not Lansing Motorcycle club’s. Yes the AMA sanction and D-14 Charter was through them for I needed the charter and the clubs monetary backing to put on an event.
The only reason I dove into promotion of an event was to try to bring back the enduro series to Michigan as we spend our money and time in Indiana more then at home for enough races to be coincidered a series. The time and money spent to hold an event are more then most of you can even imagine. It has taken me 2 years of hard work to bring back a form of "Event Trail" that you have asked for, hours of work with the DNR and the Legislative bodies of our State. All of this I do to give back to the sport I love. This is all done not just for me but everyone that enjoys riding off-road motorcycles. Remember that all these event that you enjoy are put on by volunteers. Unpaid people willing to give up their time and money so that you may come out and race against your peers.
This was my first attempt at promotion all my help were for the most part the same, rookies. Sign-up was done by a club that has been putting on events since 1923 and I would say have a lot more experience then most anyone of us.
I have heard statements that when Confronted I just smiled. This is true. I have learned long ago when someone is yelling at me that to fuel the fire by getting upset and or yelling back never solves anything. Did anyone come to me and address the problem or confusion other then to yell or call names? When the people at sign-up told me that the numbers available were such, I had no reason to disbelieve or question them. Were numbers held yes? Anyone that called before the event and asked that a number be held so they could ride with their friends. This included people I know and people I have not had the pleasure of meeting yet. Does this go on at other events? Yes I have called Marquette, Goshen, Upland and Roselawn and reserved an area of which to ride. This has been going on for as long as I have been back to this sport in 2000, and I bet even longer. Does this follow the rules of AMA? No. The rule states "That all entrants will be given a starting number at random." This actually would include all "AA" riders unless it was a national event. As a district we supplemented these rules with our own "AA" class that starts on row 21 through 33, and 34 –35 for anyone else wanting to run "AA". By AMA rule everyone else would have there number given randomly, presumable through a drawing. If this is how the riders want it I will be more then happy to propose it at this years district meeting. Part of our rules for the "AA" class is to first keep the top riders together and to make it so they are not breaking trail. An enduro is an event that pits man and machine against nature, if the weather was rainy with a muddy field the early numbers would have been grabbed just as quickly as the late numbers were Saturday.

I e-mailed the riders I have on an enduro List that I will take constructive criticism about the event,and am still willing to do so, for I know some things were not as good as even I had hoped. This was my first try! Giving Ideas of what might help next years event would be much more helpful. Complaining behind someone’s back accomplishes nothing but problems, just call me, I will be more then happy answer any question you have, we may not agree but talking it through may just help all of us.
If you do not want another event in Michigan let me know, I ‘m sure I can find other things to do with my time and effort.
For those of you that helped to get this event going I thank you, I will never be able to give to you all the time and efforts I took from you and your families.

Thomas Dunn
D-14 Enduro Chairman
1-517-896-9757
1-517-882-3035

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Amen.......One thing struck me while reading this post.
AA riders are guranteed good numbers....cant earn those points If you dont race.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Thank-you

Tom and all the volunteers that put on a great enduro.

I just want you all to know that I had a blast. Thank-you all!

Live and Learn and Love doing it! And remember…..you’ll never please them all!! Stay positive!

Mike K.

Jul 9, 2005
I am not trying to demote the fact that you put on a good enduro that took alot of hard work. I realize you do this out of your own time but the issue I am stricktly attacking is the fact that You and your helpers would let someone you know go through sign up and hold or receive the late number they wanted and deny those late numbers to the next in line.(BTW there is no possible way at this time all late numbers were taken) Now if you had arrangments to reserve numbers for people, make it available to everyone. If there is no public pre-entry open to all then this means it is first come first serve. If in fact you want to make it legal to call ahead and get a minute then fine but you cannot let one person reserve and the next person not. That IS Cheating and that is the issue I want addresed.

And to Tom Dunn...There was no name calling or even a lot of yelling we simply wanted an answer as to why you did waht you were doing. You had nothing and began joking to the guys behind us. You made no effort to help or resolve the situation.

I hope its a learning experience and it doesn't happen again. Although this situation was very negative I still am appreciative of your EFFORT to promote Enduros.

Eric Briggs

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Eric

contact information is posted at the bottom of Tom's "post" that was really posted by Don. You can contact tom directly about it. He cannot respond to anything posted here, he doesn't have internet access, only e mail for some reason.

I sincerely hope that nothing like this ever happens again at sign up, but other wise it was a great enduro. :cool:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Tom sounds like a heck of guy. GIve him a call Eric....

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Don Marsh said:
Were numbers held yes? Anyone that called before the event and asked that a number be held so they could ride with their friends. This included people I know and people I have not had the pleasure of meeting yet. Does this go on at other events? Yes I have called Marquette, Goshen, Upland and Roselawn and reserved an area of which to ride. This has been going on for as long as I have been back to this sport in 2000, and I bet even longer. Does this follow the rules of AMA? No.

I feel so stupid and meek when I read this. Yeah, I'm going to call Tom and no I'm not expecting anything to change. I'm surely not 100% perfect; but, that doesn't mean I can't offer my 2 cents - my D14 enduro jacket is from '81.
Now I ask you all - how do I tell my son it's about who you know and who to call in order to get the best number for an enduro? F'in politics - to much like the corporate game I play everyday. Distasteful. I'm worked up today but I'll be over it tomorrow. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :ugg:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Well seeings how you asked.. I say WOW a little overly dramatic there wouldn’t ya say? AMA has already contacted Tom and It's damn near Thursday already I say get over it and move on!

DW

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
Well seeings how you asked.. I say WOW a little overly dramatic there wouldn’t ya say? AMA has already contacted Tom and It's damn near Thursday already I say get over it and move on!

DW

Gee DW I agree with you for once. :cool: Let's not loose sight of everything GOOD Tom is doing, working with Lansing and the DNR for event trail, and new orv trails, and he brought us a new enduro, which is unprecented these days. I for one, really appreciate everything Tom is doing for us. I say give him the benefit of the doubt that this will be corrected, and the next time we see him we should thank him for bringing us a new enduro!

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
OK,
I agree with DW. What a bunch of useless drama. New rules all whiners get early numbers......dust
will never again be a problem. Mr briggs we got the message the tenth time you posted, enough. AS far as " Its who you know"
show me one person who hasnt got special consideration
because you knew someone. Anyone? Thats what I thought.
Enduros mirror life, its hard, not always fair, somedays you cant do any wrong, somedays nothing goes right.

LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90%

HOW YOU HANDLE IT

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Don Marsh said:
Enduro Chairman’s Statement

Does this go on at other events? Yes I have called Marquette, ...and reserved an area of which to ride.
Not trying to fan the fire, but I wish to clarify that NO ONE has held or reserved a row assignment at Marquette in the past three years. I guarantee that, as I have been in charge of the row assignments.
The only way you get a start number at the Loose Moose National Enduro is by first come first serve PAID registration (unless you have a National or District 14 AA number). Yes you can request a row, and if it is available when we get your PAID REGISTRATION, you will get what you ask for. If it's not available, we do try to get you on a row near your request. If you want to ride with your buddy, send your registrations in together, with the same row requests. Everyone is offered the same opportunity, with registration forms available in Trail Rider magazine and on the internet at www.upsandstormers.com

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2005
wyatt said:
OK,
Mr briggs we got the message the tenth time you posted, enough. AS far as " Its who you know"
because you knew someone.

You and people like you are why this problem will happen again, your right life isn't fair but sports arn't life and life doesn't have a strict set of rules set by the AMA so I have a fair chance against "special treated people". So read up on your rule book and note the one that says "All riders (except AA) have a choice of minute." #12 there Wyatt. So next time you use the whole "life isn't fair teacher speech" save it because we know life isn't fair but sports and racing is SUPPOSED to be.

Eric Briggs
(Muskegon Motorcycle Club)

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
wyatt said:
OK,
I agree with DW. What a bunch of useless drama. New rules all whiners get early numbers......dust
will never again be a problem. Mr briggs we got the message the tenth time you posted, enough. AS far as " Its who you know"
because you knew someone. Anyone? Thats what I thought.
Enduros mirror life, its hard, not always fair, somedays you cant do any wrong, somedays nothing goes right.

LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90%

HOW YOU HANDLE IT

:ugg:

Tough crowd. Want to race? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom