bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
I have a question about what equipment different clubs use to lay out courses.

Here in the So. Cal desert, we don't have many trees (ok none), so we use stakes to staple turn arrows to. In laying out a 90 mile desert enduro (or any desert event for that matter), you use a lot of stakes. We've always used old newspaper carrier bags to tote the stakes around, and clean up after an event. With the disappearance of the paperboy, these bags are becoming difficult to find.

I'm curious if any of you out there have any better ways of toting stakes around to layout your events. If not, do any of you know of somewhere to pick up those canvas newspaper carrier bags?

deano...

Training Wheels Motorcycle Club
D-37

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
You may try a Forestry Supply House. A few years back, I planted a bunch of pine seedlings and bought some bags to carry them in when hiking thru the woods. They look like big heavy duty paper boy bags. I bought them at the place where I bought the pine seedlings. I also carried stakes in them to mark boundary lines.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Depending on what thickness stacks you using a good link of sizable PVC pipe capped at one end with some rope and you can use it like a qiver for arrows. They suck if you crash, but with enough guys you can do it. Its a little easy for us as the land is layed out with roads so a truck in the area or a 4 wheeler makes it easy to get more if you run out. Plus its usually a short ride back to camp. A deep canvas bag on the front number plate for stapler, arrows, hammer, and tree saw work realy nice. The ziper flap on you riding pants make a good place for a roll of tape.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
When I was with HBMC we used bungie cords to hold the stakes to our handlebars. When my wife got a 4 wheeler, I started to use it since it had a rack.
Now that I live in Alabama I always use my kid's 4 wheeler (it fits between the trees) and it works great.
In the Dez, no question; get a 4 wheeler. I hate them, but they do have uses.....

RAD DAD

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Thanks for all the info. The seedling bag sounds like a good option. We've talked about making a pvc quiver type thing, but your really limiting the number of stakes. We usually tote around 50 or so at a time.

Thanks again,

deano...

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
A couple guys in my club have constructed all-purpose carriers by small square plastic trash cans to a backpack frame, then using a bungie at the top to kepe things from sliding around. Works great for carrying a small pick and shovel, not sure if it would be as useful for that many stakes.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I recently used a plain ole bookbag/backpack and it worked quite well. It was easy to ride with and held at least 50 stakes and hammer/stapler/bottle of water etc.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check out your hunting supply store. There are decoy carrying bags that are just like the old paper boy bags but made of fishnet type material for drainage and weight reduction.

m brubaker

Nov 29, 2003
To carry your steaks around the course try taking an old pair of jeans and
cutting the leg off. sew up the bottom end to keep the steaks in. put a rope
from the bottom to the waist band so you may carry over your shoulder.
the pocket in the paints will be a good place to carry your hammer.

Top Bottom