workinman812

Dec 20, 2000
Can anyone give me the "Low down" . I want to ride Upland,In. also,but I think they are on back to back weekends ... Don't know if I can do both....Which is best?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
If it's raining, you DON'T want to be at White City. Last year, in the rain, 70 riders started. Only 10 finished. :eek:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Its fun if it is dry, a disaster if it rains. Last year was a survival run, I think only 5 finished last year.

I made it 30 miles before I flooded out in a creek. Woodsrider made it a mile and a half I think

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Mile and a half is right. Went home with broken clutch... :(
and some hardware... ;)

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Hold on, guys...let's not discourage everyone two months before the race!!:confused: Last year was what I would call a fluke: not too many enduros I've ever attended were held the week after a 7 inch rain. ANY place gets messy after that. White City is typical of most places in Illinois when wet. Black clay gets slick, hills get tough. Marietta in 1999 was absolutely the worst I've ever seen, way worse than White City last year (probably because I was on the very last row). Did 7 miles, houred out, went home. At least I got in almost half the race at White City last year.

I will be there, determined to finish. Broke a couple ribs in '99 because I wasn't paying attention to the arrows, and then last year houred out. If the rain holds off the week before the race, the course will be pure joy, absolutely the best trails you'll find anywhere. The club ground is my favorite place for hare scrambles. There are some surprisingly steep hills for that part of Illinois. The club is motorcycle-only, so the trails don't get torn up by ATV's. The rest of the enduro course is on ground that appears to only be ridden upon once each year for the enduro, so you won't see too many whoops or choppy trails, just smooth, no rocks, some tree roots, and a certain amount of mud (depending on how much rain beforehand).

So check the weather the week before the race, and come out if you can.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Very true about White City, about the only enduro that I have drowned out and houred out in a very long time. But all off that was due to the rain the week prior. If it does not rain it is one the best enduros in the midwest! The Upland enduro is the same way, but if they get alot of rain they will reroute and you end up riding a bunch of road. Both enduros are very fun, and 2 of my favorites. I am in the same boat as some friends want to do a ride in Michigan one of those weekends so I will miss one of the races, since I am running for points in IL I will probably miss Upland for the first time in 6 years.

Both enduros are about the same milage, but White City runs a section twice, Upland doesn't. Also Upland runs a quailifer format, all restarts, so no time keeping is needed. White City is an old fashion enduro.

Like everyone else has said, watch the weather the week before both, go to the one that will be dry and you will have a blast!

Baked

Apr 6, 2000
I talked to Fredette yesterday and he told me the White City enduro wasn't all that bad... he said it was a piece of cake, just hold the gas on steady and stand up! :confused: Well anyway... I'm hoping to go

Woodsrider... what's up... I got a new computer at work and lost your email address!!

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Hey Baked, long time no e-mail. Just click on the profile link below or PM me.

I was on the same minute as Jeff last year. I hung with him for a good 50 feet. :confused:
He was definitely holding it WFO there. Seized his top-end on a road section.

Last edited:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Baked
I talked to Fredette yesterday and he told me the White City enduro wasn't all that bad... he said it was a piece of cake, just hold the gas on steady and stand up! :confused: Well anyway... I'm hoping to go

Woodsrider... what's up... I got a new computer at work and lost your email address!!

He told you minute 53 was ok at Roselawn too:confused:

Baked

Apr 6, 2000
Yeeeeehhhaaaaaa... it's 8:31 pm... got a race tomorrow, and still have about 2 hours worth of work to do to my bike... :scream: that's the real racer spirit. Still debating on whether I'm going or not.

Offroadr, yeah... I didn't think of it that way! ;)

Woods... I can't think that far ahead!

Top Bottom